My family has been locked in together too long

maddmaxx

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

My brother is pulling his hair out as his wife is home officed, he’s home, his two adult step sons and the oldest sons young daughter are all in the house.  

Im still going in and my son is home but my wife is going stir crazy.... She volunteered at a food bank and starts tomorrow.

I am about the same as your brother but daughters who are both WFH and their fiancees..  In other words, my family plus other peoples liabilities they offloaded on me.  

7 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I am about the same as your brother but daughters who are both WFH and their fiancees..  In other words, my family plus other peoples liabilities they offloaded on me.  

Yeah what really fries my brothers ass is the father of the toddler is a low life and takes advantage of them.  He actually had a job during this mess but recently quit. So now he plays games all night & sleeps all day knowing mom & my brother are home.  My brothers wife is on the phone a lot so can’t watch the kid so my brother gets stuck watching the kid.  My bro would rather kick his ass out but wife won’t let him. 

It’s a mess & C19 has made it worse for him.

53 minutes ago, dennis said:

How is that different from any other day in WI?

Nothing but with the bars all closed I would have to do it at home. 

The advantage of day drinking at home is you don't have to wear pants or get out of bed. 

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Zephyr said:

With  both my wife and I working from home and zero chance people are stopping in unannounced, I expected there to be a LOT more full frontal nudity

My wife works healthcare so she's out there doing battle every day.  In the meantime, I sit at home and am starting to go stir crazy.  The days are just kind of running together.  I am doing adequate work but not nearly good enough by my standards.  I think I'm starting to get depressed.  So perhaps it's' time to go nude more often.  These jammies just aren't cutting it.

• Heart 1

With the exception of not having to drive home in the afternoon, the WFH experience for me (today is day #4 of a 10 day rotation) has been a disappointment. I’m not as efficient working remotely, I’m on video conferences for 5-6 hours a day, and rush to complete work in between. I emerge from my home office about 12:30 to microwave some lunch and eat for about 5 minutes, then go back into the hole. Working very efficiently, I can be done by 4, if I do work prior to my 8 am morning conference call. 

I suspect WFH was a lot more relaxed prior to the invention of the webcam and wide use of videoconferencing. But I think life will never be the same again, and large, in-person meetings will be almost ubiquitously replaced by video conferencing, a move which, by-in-large, I approve of. 

3 hours ago, Dottles said:

In the meantime, I sit at home and am starting to go stir crazy.  The days are just kind of running together.  I am doing adequate work but not nearly good enough by my standards.  I think I'm starting to get depressed.  So perhaps it's' time to go nude more often.  These jammies just aren't cutting it.

Same here 

The most complicated situation is the reality that dearie's computer and his normal desk area is right beside mine.  It doesn't matter which city.  So I've had to boot him out when I'm in a video/audio conferencing meeting which is several times / wk. with different people/for different purposes.  There is room for him to set up laptop somewhere else but he stores certain files in different computers.  The reverse happens when he needs to talk with various parties re: butcher shop.  

Then there days am solo which ….feels the same.  I now realize I'm a more social creature than I credit myself.  I like walking into a cafe and seeing people sitting down.  And me sitting at my own table to have a latte. 

My wife was actually about 60% wfh before rhisbwhole thing started, she she was already set up in her office, so I claimed part of the kitchen table.

I get up and start work early, she is normally a couple hours later.  We meet in the living room for coffee and lunch.  For the most part we are out of each others hair.

I finish a couple hours before her, which gices me time for a quick spin on rhe bike or start the supper prep.

We have said we are actually enjoying this time.  We are liking the lack of pressure to be social and go out in the evenings.

• Awesome 1

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Nah.  They said that 20 years ago.   Once people are feeling safe in public, they will be back out doing what humans do best, socializing. 

I generally hate most meetings, but I still feel like in person ones are far easier to "control".  Video conferencing obviously is nice since it is often a WFH situation, but my order of preference is 1) in person (talking and/or screen shared on a big display), 2) remote but just screen sharing when needed, and 3) remote with video head shots (a bunch of talking heads). 

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

I generally hate most meetings, but I still feel like in person ones are far easier to "control".  Video conferencing obviously is nice since it is often a WFH situation, but my order of preference is 1) in person (talking and/or screen shared on a big display), 2) remote but just screen sharing when needed, and 3) remote with video head shots (a bunch of talking heads). 

A company I worked for years ago would have these annual meetings where all managers and sales folks would get together for 3 days at the corporate office.   I always thought it interesting the most beneficial thing was the breaks.  Getting to know people, build networks, share ideas & such was the true benefit for me, not the actual sessions.

54 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

A company I worked for years ago would have these annual meetings where all managers and sales folks would get together for 3 days at the corporate office.   I always thought it interesting the most beneficial thing was the breaks.  Getting to know people, build networks, share ideas & such was the true benefit for me, not the actual sessions.

Very true.  My boss is in Miami, but when he is up here in DC at HQ, he actually gets to see all the folks who make the real decisions and to talk "off the record" or just form human connections.  Likewise, when he is in town, all of us get to hang out with him to interact as humans normally do and discuss stuff beyond just work.  Nationals games are usually on the calendar if it is baseball season.  That and beer.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Nah.  They said that 20 years ago.   Once people are feeling safe in public, they will be back out doing what humans do best, socializing. 

Well, I can say since we've started video conferencing, we have a regularly scheduled meeting every day now between 11:30 and 12:30 called the watercooler meeting where we basically hang out and BS.  Sometimes work related stuff, sometimes not. I can tell you I have spent more time with most of the folks on my team than I have in person.  I've learned quite a bit about them.  My point is, I think my manager will continue to loosen and already liberal policy on working from home as he is seeing nothing is really tapering off.  That means I'll have my 1:1's with him via teleconferencing -- something he said he doesn't normally do.  I think that changes. I don't think anybody is going to give me any guff if I mainly work from home now. And for a guy that spends 3 hours of his day commuting -- that's a win.