Carbon Post

ChrisL

Last night my wife asked me how the dropper post worked. Although I appreciated her question & reminded her it’s on my Anthem & I rode my crosser, her question made me realize that my ride was far less buzzy & jarring with the Anthems carbon post on my crosser.  

It was one of those things where you don’t realize the difference until you realize there was a difference...  Oh shit yeah the ride was smoother...  I rode a trail with lots of medium sized river stones and before, every now & again I’d get a spine jarring like ooh yeah felt that one.  I never had a moment like that this time.

Hmm maybe a carbon handlebar is next???

All my Specialized bikes have carbon posts, and about the only thing that irritated me about the local shop that built my new bike is that they did not use carbon assembly paste on the seat post :(  It took me a little while to dial in the saddle height & position, and without the paste, the post can slip if you don't torque the collar down - a LOT more than I want to torque anything carbon (or aluminum).  Anyway, I have paste and used it, and it also serves to keep it "quiet" over time, so it is a no brainer to use and the LBS should make that SOP. 

Anyhow, yeah, a carbon post - built to flex a little - is a nice thing to have.

• Heart 1

41 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

All my Specialized bikes have carbon posts, and about the only thing that irritated me about the local shop that built my new bike is that they did not use carbon assembly paste on the seat post :(  It took me a little while to dial in the saddle height & position, and without the paste, the post can slip if you don't torque the collar down - a LOT more than I want to torque anything carbon (or aluminum).  Anyway, I have paste and used it, and it also serves to keep it "quiet" over time, so it is a no brainer to use and the LBS should make that SOP. 

Anyhow, yeah, a carbon post - built to flex a little - is a nice thing to have.

I learned my lesson with the Niner RDO post I bought for my old HT that slipped & marred the finish on the first ride. A guy I was riding with had me pull the post out, he threw dirt on it and said that’ll do it! It did too.  So I cleaned, greased & dirted the post & it hasn’t slipped.

• Heart 1