Calories on Strava Are High but I Don't Give AS

Mr. Beanz

So, how does Stava calculate calories? My buddy is constantly leaving comments on my rides about my calorie burning numbers. First off, I don't care about calories burned. Only time I look at them is when he leaves a comment. I don't know I tell him, maybe the difference in body weight? Only thing I can think of. He is about 170 and I am 250. My speeds on the flats are faster. I can crush him on a 40 mile ride with wind. On the hills, he can beat me up a one mile climb by 30 seconds maybe. So I'm pushing pretty good weight up a hill vs his much lower weight. 

Would that be the difference?

We all know Strava is inaccurate with plenty of things. Power as well unless one has a meter. But things I don't pay attention to all are HR, calories, or power output. So I only look at those things when someone brings them up in conversation or complains about my numbers ha ha ha!

So, would weight have anything to do with the calories burned, heavy rider vs light rider? :dontknow:

On 9/26/2021 at 12:01 AM, Mr Beanz said:

I don't know I tell him, maybe the difference in body weight? Only thing I can think of. He is about 170 and I am 250. My speeds on the flats are faster. I can crush him on a 40 mile ride with wind. On the hills, he can beat me up a one mile climb by 30 seconds maybe. So I'm pushing pretty good weight up a hill vs his much lower weight. 

As you found out, weight should definitely play a role in any "calculated" calorie count.  And, a heavier rider should be faster on flats, on downhills, into the wind, etc, and should be slower in climbs.  Why? Because of power.  A heavier rider - all other things equal - should have SIGNIFICANTLY higher power outputs than a lighter rider, and that is hugely advantageous in cycling except when going up. And, creating power requires burning energy, and significantly more power requires significantly more energy - so MORE calories burned by bigger folks.

Obviously, in the elite 1% of the 1%, weight becomes less important as at that point you are optimizing power to weight ratios.  But when I'm out on a ride and approaching a bigger rider just near the crest of a hill, there is no way I am passing him just before a descent or even into a long flat straight until I see how well he goes there.  If he has any sort of experience, he ought to be able to roll pretty fast on the flats using his potential power advantage.  In general, most cycling - except climbs - is friendly to heavier folks which makes it a great sport!

To your main concern, though, the calorie count is a calculated value, and like most calculated and not measured values on the bike, it is subject to a LOT of debate.  I would not use it with too much faith.

• Heart 1