Unemployment Ale

Johnny Come Lately Name

One of the things I promised myself I would do during my sabbatical was brew a batch of beer. (I even had all the ingredients, just hadn't gotten to it). Shortly after I got the axe, I did so. Now I'm back to work......and said beer just went in the keg, so I'm dubbing this Unemployment Ale. It's 'spoda be this. (Scroll down, the recipe's further down the page).

IMG_0142.JPG

• Heart 2

My first thought: ick, a Belgian. However, they make it sound like a good idea when they discuss the food pairing!

I love the yeast comment: Westmalle at 20 C for first half of fermentation, then let climb as high as possible. Yup, it's a Belgian.  Ha!!!

Did you add the sugar at the beginning of the boil or at flame-out?

41 minutes ago, smudge said:

My first thought: ick, a Belgian

Communist

However, they make it sound like a good idea when they discuss the food pairing

Belgian beers are food beers. Try Ommegang Abbey Ale with ribs or Ommegang Three Philosophers with flourless chocolate cake and then get back to me.

Did you add the sugar at the beginning of the boil or at flame-out?

Flameout, but then I thought I missed my OG so I added some demerara, too. That was only one of the things that went sideways that day. Preliminary tasting says it'll be a good one, but I'll never be able to make it again. Too many things were done "wrong".

2 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Flameout, but then I thought I missed my OG so I added some demerara, too. That was only one of the things that went sideways that day. Preliminary tasting says it'll be a good one, but I'll never be able to make it again. Too many things were done "wrong".

Ha!! I totally understand that!!