Our Towns

Ralphie

636613776410749082-OURTOWNS-jacket.jpg?w

lead_large.jpg?1525618432

Just finished Allentown, PA.  The most interesting factoid was how Billy Joel's song mainly used Allentown because it fit better with rhymes than Bethlehem, where the steel mill was that closed that was the centerpiece of the song.  I have always liked that area mainly because I used to go skiing there since it was a lot closer and smaller scale skiing than the Poconos.  I loved the farm country and country roads south of Allentown.  They made the good point that Allentown has a great location, near the big cities of Philly and NY yet still far away and lower cost and more bucolic.  The Yuengling brewery is not far away. :)

Now on to Duluth, where they start by mentioning that it recently won Outside Magazine's "Best Place to Live", even though it has its share of urban decay and a faded industrial past.  The Cirrus aircraft part is interesting.

The book gets heavy and ponderous at times but overall I am enjoying it.  I like how each arthur will write a few pages and then they switch off, and they signify this with a quill pen for her and an airplane for him.  Cute!  Sorry if I am rooning it for anyone.