MX299Q initial impressions

late

Someone wanted to know what I thought of my new monitor, between age and pot, can't remember who.

The arm that goes to the base wasn't working. My second call to tech support they told me to keep wiggling it until it went into position.

I managed to misplace the Displayport wire, got one coming from Amazon. But that means I am using an old standard. But there's enough to make a couple comments.

The speakers are crap. So when you see it's a name brand speaker, sorry, still crap.

I thought I would have to make adjustments for every game. So far, I haven't had to do a thing. Borderlands, which is an old game, popped up in widescreen without me doing a thing.

The text is sharper than my old monitor, but I had to increase the size of the letters in Windows from 125% to 150%. I've also had to place the monitor closer, I may be going to a wireless mouse.

There is no height adjustment. I've got the monitor sitting on a big book, I am going to need something even bigger.

The image quality is a real improvement.

After I get the right cable and get administrator access, I'll try overclocking it.

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, late said:

Someone wanted to know what I thought of my new monitor, between age and pot, can't remember who.

Me. Thanks. I never put faith in built-in speakers. I have my own so that's a moot point for me. Glad to hear aboot the image quality being improved, thanks.

This monitor is something of a niche product. It's for a guy who wants widescreen, but can't afford 144hz full on gaming monitor (which costs twice as much). If you're a movie nut, it might work for you, as well.

It's a 2K monitor, meaning you need a strong video card, mainly the Nvidia 770.

If you want to go to an IPS monitor, there are some really nice ones cheap if 1K (1080P) works for you.

But if you're not a gamer, and want 2K, I'd suggest getting a 2560x1440 monitor. Bog standard 2K.

BTW, I earlier said it was curved, that was wrong.

• Heart 1

I had badly wanted a curved gaming monitor.

Expensive, and it colored my thinking a tad.

This is ok, I played Borderlands by myself last nite. I usually play with other people, but there wasn't anyone doing anything I wanted to do.

This is significantly more immersive, and I can live with that.

• Heart 1