Changing Snow Conditions !

Zipp2001

The snow was great when it arrived about 6 days ago, super easy to ride in. Then several days of mixed weather and crazy temp changes and bang, very different snow conditions. The first 3rd of my ride was filled with lots of off camber climbing and a derailer issue that kept me out of my climbing gear. The snow was somewhat slushie and plenty of hiker tracks made for a tricky ride. I spent a good amount of time just trying to find some sort of rhythm. Sometimes you just have to laugh and just enjoy your surroundings.

• Awesome 1

On 1/16/2022 at 2:11 PM, Zipp2001 said:

Tough going indeed but one heck of a fun ride. Just love the woods in winter and the ever-changing snow conditions.

We've got lovely ice crusted snow here now.  Gotta get out to see how conditions look overall, but still not any nice fluffy snow to ride in :(

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

We've got lovely ice crusted snow here now.  Gotta get out to see how conditions look overall, but still not any nice fluffy snow to ride in :(

New snow fall followed by rain and cold temps, will be getting out soon to check out conditions. Will take the fat bike out on this ride.

• Heart 1

22 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Jealous of fat bikes.  Like studded tires, fat bikes are really tough for me to justify to myself and my wife.

Have fun!

I didn't have any plans to get a fat bike until a bike shop was closing and was trying to get rid of everything. They had an entry level fat bike that they offered up at their cost. Two people got to the owner before I did, so I figure that was that. Then a week later I see the bike still at the shop and asked the owner was up, and he said both people backed out. So, I told him I'd be back with cash and that's how I got the first fat bike. I used it for about three winter and had such a blast with it that I figured I might be interested in upgrading to a slightly better fat bike a couple year ago. Been on my Giant Yukon 2 since and just love it and do use it quite often throughout the year, not just for winter. Carrying extra bikes has been good because I have friends that don't have bikes and they do come out every now and then using one of my extra bikes. I did give the first fat bike to my daughter so her, husband, and kids can do family rides.

The green fat bike was the first, the black is the present

ice.jpg

River Ride.jpg

• Envious 1