Against the N+1 Theory of Bike Ownership

dinneR

Eben is a good writer. Funny article.

I've got five bikes and ride them all. I think if I had to, I could get down to two, but it would be hard. 

https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-gear/bikes-and-biking/how-to-get-rid-of-bikes/

So how many bicycles should one person have? Well, there’s no consensus on this matter. For some riders one single speed may be enough, and for others ten bikes with twenty gears apiece might be scarcely sufficient. Of course, cycling philosophers have ruminated on this question since the days of the penny-farthing, and according to the oft-cited Rule 12 of the Velominati, the equation for the correct number of bikes is as follows:

The correct number of bikes to own is n+1. While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

However, the Velominati rules are stupid and should be ignored in most cases. The Velominati also says you shouldn’t use a saddlebag, which is like saying you shouldn’t keep a spare roll of toilet paper in the bathroom.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, dinneR said:

However, the Velominati rules are stupid and should be ignored in most cases. The Velominati also says you shouldn’t use a saddlebag, which is like saying you shouldn’t keep a spare roll of toilet paper in the bathroom.

Well said

• Heart 1
  • Like 1