Electrolyte replacement

Last year I rode two centuries, one I was a little pooped, they other I felt like I was going to die.  Around mile 80 I got really tired.  I tried two cans of coke, didn't help much.  I made it to the end (115 miles) but then I started to feel bad.  At first I thought I was just pooped, but then I started getting light headed and my arms / fingers were tingly.  It started to get a lot worse so I sought help.  My heart rate was in the low 100s, they figured it was dehydration and gave me 9 bottles of gatorade (or something similar).  I thought I had a bottle or two, but toward the end my wife was there and they told her 9.  I seem to be a little foggy on the details.

During the ride I thought I drank plenty.  I took individual packets with me to make a total of 8 bottles, I thought I used them all.  I found I still had 4 packets and my bottles weren't empty.  So it looks like I had about 4 bottles over 6+ hours and 115 miles.  I don't think that was enough.  I have a new plan now for centuries.  I will carry 4 bottles and make sure I stop at 50 miles and fill up - and also make sure I've emptied them before I get to mile 50.

I switched to Skratch because other things I've tried with fake sugar does not sit well with me.  It only has natural sugar and a little electrolyte.

I want to add additional electrolytes, but need them unflavored and without sugar / fake sugar.

Any suggestions?

• Heart 1

My friend Amy who is a professional triathlete swears by http://Sword Hydration.  When I did spin classes three days a week at the gym I would weigh myself in the locker room before and after class.  That's when I discovered I needed to drink more than what I had been drinking.  If you weigh less after the ride than you did when you started you are not staying properly hydrated.  I had a PCP who told me to stay away from Gatorade during my annual physical.  I think she was worried about too much of it causing high blood pressure. I found out on an MS-150 ride that drinking lots of water isn't enough. I had all my muscles just lock up on me.  After twenty minutes or so of rest I managed to get going again and made it to the next rest stop where I drank Gatorade and was fine for the rest of the ride. I don't have a favorite that I stick with but I always make sure I have one of my water bottles filled with an electrolyte solution.  

• Heart 1