One more humorous cat story

maddmaxx

I brought Athena out with me this evening while I was cooking on the grill.  Naturally she's in heaven after being cooped up indoors for more than a week.  Out in the back yard there were squirrels munching on the evenings corn serving for the deer.  They're just jumping up on the table except for one rather runty and inept little fella who kept trying to climb the slick plastic table leg as if he had no idea that the others were just jumping up.

Athena spots this little guy from about 30 yards away and begins the slink, one agonizingly slow step at a time.  The squirrel is still too busy trying to figure out how to climb the table leg. Athena's never caught a squirrel so she's getting excited and the tail is whipping back and forth.  Suddenly she's in a full run and the squirrel doesn't see her coming.  I'm afraid of what's about to happen.  Athena storms up like the crack of doom and then suddenly stops about a foot away from the squirrel.  I can see the body language.......ok, what do I do now?  The squirrel suddenly awakes to his impending doom and freezes eyes lock on the cat about a foot away.  This goes on for about 15 seconds, a lifetime for the squirrel.  Suddenly the squirrel lets it's panic take over and flash it's gone at a full run.  Athena looks around for a minute or so and then saunters back to the deck "ya, I'm the queen.  I'm in charge here".

I flipped the steaks and wondered if I would ever have a camera with me when these things happen.

• Heart 2