Hurt Feelings/Ego :(

Razors Edge

Thursday was another beautiful day for a ride - mid 70s - and quite a few folks taking advantage of the warmer weather before we drop a bit again this weekend. Wednesday's ride had a guy I passed latch on but he just drafted for a few miles. This guy seemed more irritated to get passed on a slight climb, and was very happy when the trail sloped down to put in a burst to get past me.  I'm in no race, and knew he was either slow so I would see him on the next uphill or he was faster than he had been riding.  I just kept at my normal speed, and low and behold, he was pulled back and then I just sat behind him to my turn-around point.  Not sure if he was happy or sad with his ride.

If you ask me, looks like you got dropped in the video and had a hard time catching back up. :lol:

Kidding! Can't figure out why people do that. I have brought this up for years and people get upset saying it is my imagination so glad you got the video.

I pass several people just holding my pace. I rarely lift my pace or sprint. I just ride but find that those guys doing 14 will want to race me if I go by at 17. Not sure why but if you are only holding 14 and somebody goes by at 17, chances are they won't hold it that long before they fade. Will catch again ha ha ha!

If I have Gina with me, oh man, for sure there are some hurt feelings and damaged egos going on! :happyanim:

5 hours ago, Mr Beanz said:

If you ask me, looks like you got dropped in the video and had a hard time catching back up. :lol:

Kidding! Can't figure out why people do that. I have brought this up for years and people get upset saying it is my imagination so glad you got the video.

I pass several people just holding my pace. I rarely lift my pace or sprint. I just ride but find that those guys doing 14 will want to race me if I go by at 17. Not sure why but if you are only holding 14 and somebody goes by at 17, chances are they won't hold it that long before they fade. Will catch again ha ha ha!

If I have Gina with me, oh man, for sure there are some hurt feelings and damaged egos going on! :happyanim:

That's EXACTLY what happened - got dropped like an anvil.  I had passed him at the top of the hill, it's flat for a little bit, so you can see him drop a bit, and then it tips back down again, so he built a little momentum and then blasted past me.  I'm not in a race and knew there was a mile of downhill ahead until some ups and downs, so I just assumed it was adios until we met again :)  When I saw him coming back to me and the ups were still ahead, it was all gravy from then.

The upshot is that had I known his ride was only 8 miles and ended about a quarter mile after my turn around point, I probably would have sped up and passed him (out of spite), but as it was, I think my freewheeling behind him the last 1/3 mile or so irritated him enough.  

In his defense, maybe that downhill stretch is his favorite place to push it hard, and my steady speed wasn't something he wanted to ride.  I know my last mile before home, if I feel something left in the tank, is where I'll push the pace or do a long out of the saddle sprint.  If that was the case, good on him.  

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

That's EXACTLY what happened - got dropped like an anvil.  I had passed him at the top of the hill, it's flat for a little bit, so you can see him drop a bit, and then it tips back down again, so he built a little momentum and then blasted past me.  I'm not in a race and knew there was a mile of downhill ahead until some ups and downs, so I just assumed it was adios until we met again :)  When I saw him coming back to me and the ups were still ahead, it was all gravy from then.

The upshot is that had I known his ride was only 8 miles and ended about a quarter mile after my turn around point, I probably would have sped up and passed him (out of spite), but as it was, I think my freewheeling behind him the last 1/3 mile or so irritated him enough.  

In his defense, maybe that downhill stretch is his favorite place to push it hard, and my steady speed wasn't something he wanted to ride.  I know my last mile before home, if I feel something left in the tank, is where I'll push the pace or do a long out of the saddle sprint.  If that was the case, good on him.  

I get this a lot on the trail, especially from big guys. Yeah I am big and weigh a lot but I do my share of hills. So it is funny when I see a big guy on a little rolling section of the trail about 1/2 mile long. I am talking about 5 yards in length with a gain of about 2 feet. A few ant hill bumps in the road.

I have passed a few guys, some my size and others a bit smaller, some bigger. I, we, including Gina pass them on the flat section leading up to the little rollers. They feel insecure I guess. So they blast by us after we pass. I see them pulling away and can't help but laugh once we catch back up on the tiny little rollers as they fade. I have been tempted but have somehow refrained from saying," boy, you really should work on your climbing!". :lol:

I get what you are saying and I knew it from your video. Once the dude fades, you could have easily dropped him as he was toasted. See too much of that on our trail. After a good stretch of 5 miles, it seems their workout is over, actually toast ha ha ha! I don't even try to catch back up to the clowns who do this. I figure I'll catch back up AGAIN sooner or later.

I mean this is how bad some people suck on hills and fade. The dude Jose is at the top of the hill, Gina in front at the bottom. A series of little bumps like this, maybe 10-15 and guys fade bigtime! :facepalm:

Capture01.JPG

My version of the account I posted years ago! :lol:

We were just doing our pace, Jose, me, Gina, and Aimee. Has happened hundreds of times. Passing some dude from a mile behind just holding pace then he gets the shame and has to pass us back. But in the end, Poof! :facepalm:

I have found that  men are even more ashamed when women are involved. :nyanya:

On 11/20/2021 at 5:41 PM, Mr Beanz said:

My version of the account I posted years ago! :lol:

We were just doing our pace, Jose, me, Gina, and Aimee. Has happened hundreds of times. Passing some dude from a mile behind just holding pace then he gets the shame and has to pass us back. But in the end, Poof! :facepalm:

I have found that  men are even more ashamed when women are involved. :nyanya:

I can't say I've ever had an "on your right" passing situation like that! I've had to pass folks on their right, but not where it was a mixture of roadies. CRAZY!

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I can't say I've ever had an "on your right" passing situation like that! I've had to pass folks on their right, but not where it was a mixture of roadies. CRAZY!

You know, he did not say anything. He passed on the right in a tight spot. I thought that was stupid.  I mentioned it on other bike forums and they said there was noting wrong with passing on the right in this situation. Really? Just some posters that don't like me I think!  :lol: