A couple of young Canadian guys in a temporary shelter

Rattlecan

31 minutes ago, BR46 said:

I've always wondered why someone hasn't done it sooner.

The first diesel electric train was built in 1925 

Straight diesel electric has never made sense for trucks. You still need the full size engine and the combined weight of the big honking generator and electric drive train would out weigh a mechanical drive train by quite a bit.

Also, I am pretty sure there would be an efficiency penalty over a mechanical drive train.

Hybrid on the other hand does make sense because the batteries will handle the peak load spikes that you need the big engine for without them. A much smaller engine and generator will handle the job and there is the added benefit of regen braking. With straight diesel electric dynamic braking doesn’t give anything back.

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

27 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

Straight diesel electric has never made sense for trucks. You still need the full size engine and the combined weight of the big honking generator and electric drive train would out weigh a mechanical drive train by quite a bit.

Also, I am pretty sure there would be an efficiency penalty over a mechanical drive train.

Hybrid on the other hand does make sense because the batteries will handle the peak load spikes that you need the big engine for without them. A much smaller engine and generator will handle the job and there is the added benefit of regen braking. With straight diesel electric dynamic braking doesn’t give anything back.

I would like to see what they get for fuel mileage with a load.