Hey @shootingstar

Rattlecan

27 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

Recognize this place

Tien Hoa.jpg

Wow. That place was about 2.5 kms. or so from home.  My father worked at Tien Sun Inn on Hespeler Rd. in Galt(?).  I can't remember the municipalities prior to Cambridge merger.  Dearie told me early in his career, he did eat at Tien Sun.  

My family was invited to local Chinese community wide banquets for Christmas before Tien Sun existed.  It was the rare social event for local Chinese community in Kitchener-Waterloo.  My parents knew the manager....  

Memories!  Where did you get that photo?  That photo must be 1970's or earlier??

• Like 1

@Rattlecan

My father worked here prior to Tien Sun:

I had no idea D. Ing was 1 of the partners.  My childhood friend was his daughter....prior to kindergarten. When she and I would have only spoken Chinese and played together with one another.

We lived in 1 bedroom apartment just down King St.  5 Kids in One-Bedroom Apartment- Unearthing Space and Its Impact – Cycle Write Blog (wordpress.com)  So father had 5 min. walk to work.

I just oops copied the photo from an archival site.

image.thumb.png.f4c1840c868dbacbd34a0633d95a1792.png

• Heart 1

@Rattlecan

Just now, I went down the rabbit hole at museum's web site.  Since the museum is inquiring general public for more historic stories about the  Chinese-CAnadian community in Waterloo, I provided my blog post links and other info. I don't think the museum has enough historic information --yet.  That's why they are asking publicly.  Some people would have died or moved away.

It brought back memories. I cried a bit...because  tied directly to my father who is no longer alive.   This small piece of the city's history was only uploaded on public web site just in 2023.

Guess there is a purpose for some of my blog posts.. the museum can read certain posts, as a form of historic evidence, a tiny sliver. :unsure:

3 hours ago, shootingstar said:

@Rattlecan

My father worked here prior to Tien Sun:

I had no idea D. Ing was 1 of the partners.  My childhood friend was his daughter....prior to kindergarten. When she and I would have only spoken Chinese and played together with one another.

We lived in 1 bedroom apartment just down King St.  5 Kids in One-Bedroom Apartment- Unearthing Space and Its Impact – Cycle Write Blog (wordpress.com)  So father had 5 min. walk to work.

I just oops copied the photo from an archival site.

image.thumb.png.f4c1840c868dbacbd34a0633d95a1792.png

I thought I remembered you saying your dad worked there. Used to eat there quite often. The food was great.

That photo popped up on a Waterloo Facebook page 

• Hugs 1

36 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

I thought I remembered you saying your dad worked there. Used to eat there quite often. The food was great.

That photo popped up on a Waterloo Facebook page 

I appreciate this reminder Rattlecan. Otherwise, I wouldn't have gone down the rabbit hole and looked more at latest content for museum's site.  Not familiar with this museum which is probably small at this stage and it's recent.   However my sister and I were in downtown in same area last fall. 

Father worked at Tien Sun in different city.  The owner there was different. Tien Sun's manager had 2 daughters:  Mona and Lisa.  No kiddin'.  :lol:

Tien Hoa was the big Chinese restaurant where there was the annual multi-course Christmas banquet for employees, their families and friends. That and Grand Grill, was where as a child into teens, I developed a more adult broader Chinese food dish palate for:   lobster, crab, shrimp...even abalone (which is now endangered.  Abalone came out of a tin can.) from those rare banquents.  When you were there, some of that food was not on the regular restaurant menu. Too expensive/ 'weird' for a small southern Ont. city that is German-based.  (1960's to early 1970's).

We'll see how museum staff responds back to the info. I gave (which was more than here in SQW forum). Probably just thx.  The photos I have are of my family, not enough of historic Waterloo landmarks. 

I bet your family has bits directly connected to Waterloo County Mennonite history. How long has your family been in the county?

• Heart 1

39 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I appreciate this reminder Rattlecan. Otherwise, I wouldn't have gone down the rabbit hole and looked more at latest content for museum's site.  Not familiar with this museum which is probably small at this stage and it's recent.   However my sister and I were in downtown in same area last fall. 

Father worked at Tien Sun in different city.  The owner there was different. Tien Sun's manager had 2 daughters:  Mona and Lisa.  No kiddin'.  :lol:

Tien Hoa was the big Chinese restaurant where there was the annual multi-course Christmas banquet for employees, their families and friends. That and Grand Grill, was where as a child into teens, I developed a more adult broader Chinese food dish palate for:   lobster, crab, shrimp...even abalone (which is now endangered.  Abalone came out of a tin can.) from those rare banquents.  When you were there, some of that food was not on the regular restaurant menu. Too expensive/ 'weird' for a small southern Ont. city that is German-based.  (1960's to early 1970's).

We'll see how museum staff responds back to the info. I gave (which was more than here in SQW forum). Probably just thx.  The photos I have are of my family, not enough of historic Waterloo landmarks. 

I bet your family has bits directly connected to Waterloo County Mennonite history. How long has your family been in the county?

My dad was born in Peel township in Wellington County. The Mennonite people spilled over out of Waterloo County some time in the 1800s

My maternal grandparents were also both born Mennonite but left the faith before starting their family.

They were both born in Waterloo County, but they moved to Saskatchewan in the 20s and had 5 of their 7 children there.

Their farm literally blew away in the dust bowl of the 30s and they returned to Ontario when Mom was 5.

The last two children were twin girls born in Ontario in 1940. 

• Awesome 1

20 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

My dad was born in Peel township in Wellington County. The Mennonite people spilled over out of Waterloo County some time in the 1800s

My maternal grandparents were also both born Mennonite but left the faith before starting their family.

They were both born in Waterloo County, but they moved to Saskatchewan in the 20s and had 5 of their 7 children there.

Their farm literally blew away in the dust bowl of the 30s and they returned to Ontario when Mom was 5.

The last two children were twin girls born in Ontario in 1940. 

Lots of history there too!  Can't imagine the loss of farm :( A whole livelihood just gone.

Let's hope we won't get into widespread drought in Canadian prairies since it's been tough on some farmers.  It was for some Alberta farmers last yr. Our grain export was down by 20% less in 2023.  We're still waiting for a lot more snow here. Way more needed. 

To my understanding, there have been sizable Mennonite communities in Manitoba's history also.  

• Heart 1