I think I may have figured out Trader Joe's MO today

Randomguy

I have been swilling powdered collagen, hoping for some knee and joint relief.  I generally buy Great Lakes collagen powder at Trader Joe's.  They don't carry Great Lakes collagen there anymore, now they have Trader Joe's collagen.  Different container, now just a plastic resealable bag, and it is Trader Joe's brand, and it is $2 cheaper than previously.  Same weight, though.

I like that it is a good bit cheaper, but I think there  is some strong-arming going on.  

I am willing to bet that Trader Joe's collagen is still supplied by Great Lakes.  I am envisioning a scenario where TJ's set up the initial first few years worth of buying their collagen, and had them get all dependent on their business and hire and tool up to manage that extra business, and then swooped in and said that if you don't supply us the same product much more inexpensively, then we aren't going to buy it anymore and you can't pay your people and the loans you took to gear up for additional manufacturing capacity for our orders.  

You know, the Walmart strategy.  "Now that you are dependent on us, do it much cheaper or we will ruin your company" kind of thing.

I could be wrong, though, maybe Great Lakes doesn't want to let their name be seen as a lower-tier brand so they can continue their online sales or vitamin shop sales.  Both may very well be true.

Leverage by a moneyed huge corporation is great, if you are the moneyed corporation.  Not so good if you are not the one applying the squeeze.   I am sure this happens all the time.

11 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

could be wrong, though, maybe Great Lakes doesn't want to let their name be seen as a lower-tier brand so they can continue their online sales or vitamin shop sales.  Both may very well be true.

Leverage by a moneyed huge corporation is great, if you are the moneyed corporation.  Not so good if you are not the one applying the squeeze.   I am sure this happens all the time.

It's the Costco, Walmart, Target, Giant, Safeway, etc model and has been around for decades. :dontknow:

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It's the Costco, Walmart, Target, Giant, Safeway, etc model and has been around for decades. :dontknow:

I don't know why it took me so long to think about this, I was just musing at TJ's.  So many things unthought every day as our daily lives play out on the hamster wheel.

Btw, don't go to TJ's in the morning, people are insane there then.  Just belligerent self-important assholes trying to jump in front of you for anything instead of waiting a nanosecond for you to go in a straight line.  Homie don't play that (gangsta RG).

Just now, Razors Edge said:

When do the hot lonely housewives shop there? That's your time. Sadly, you're too old for the hot young single chicks crowd :(

They don't, lonely housewives go to Whole Foods in most cities.   There is no time or space in grocery stores for lonely housewife dawdling in NYC.  I guess I have to eventually figure out where the lonely single chicks go.

I think most chicks don't want older dudes, so there is that.