Move forward - tackling difficult discussions

shootingstar

at a university on spiritual matters, etc.

Thought it was pretty arresting to grab course program readers with this sub headline:

2nd screen shot, probably some  courses even as elective would be useful for those majoring in counselling, health care (any profession for patient care work), etc. I agree, some strange titled courses.  Sorry to offer non-STEM course thoughts since I realize this forum seems to place greater weight/importance on formal training in STEM matters.

image.thumb.png.7e2a9a397f50ee45d556a210cec811fb.png       

Welcome to the Diploma in Health Humanities

Why Health Humanities?

As the Covid-19 pandemic has revealed, training in humanities-based thinking and methodologies is vital both for policy-development and health-related communications. Being able to contextualize the present through lessons of the past, to consider the ethics of one’s strategies, to form strong arguments, to communicate clearly, and to inspire trust are skills that can help both health clinicians and public health practitioners to serve the public and, more broadly, can ease social discord and save lives. Furthermore, post-graduate programs in health-related disciplines, including medical school, increasingly expect candidates to show facility with humanities-related skills (including those related to effective reasoning and communication, narrative interpretation, and ethics).

Hosted at St. Jerome’s University, and offered in conjunction with the University of Waterloo, the Health Humanities diploma offers current undergraduate students and non-degree/post-degree community members, health clinicians, and public health practitioners a means of developing these competencies, so that they can grow as responsible leaders able to respond holistically to health-related questions and to guide and nurture action. The program enables students to distinguish themselves by providing them with a credential to showcase their training in humanities related to health. As a diploma, the program requires a relatively small number of courses (5), making it accessible to both current undergraduates and non-degree or post-degree students.

Courses offered this year (2023-2024):

Fall 2023

• ENGL 108X: Literature and Medicine
  • HHUM 312: Cross-Cultural Care Traditions
  • PHIL 319J: Ethics of End-of-Life Care
  • RS 387: Aging and the Spiritual Life
  • HHUM/SMF 218: Sexual Health and Well-Being in Comics

Spring 2024

• RS 266: Death and Dying

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Social sciences in general are getting a bad reputation these days.  My Indian neighbour says his kids won't be going to college if they don't do STEM programs.  No art majors in his family, I guess. 

and social sciences includes business (ie. management & accounting) /economics :( ? , not just political science, psychology, education (for the teaching profession)  or my graduate degree which is a social science:  library and information science:  blend of qualitative and quantitative analysis.   My entire career required I had to deal in my face /phone the client with their human-based information/business problems and also information systems design which requires learning how different info. management systems are designed AND I did do basic scripting to customize screen and output reports. That was part of my job.  Not IT's job...for several different enterprise-wide software.

Example:
There are certain systems features, IT can't do it..it required our team to understand custom client needs and we do the customization with the software.  This was to show the client:  Look at how your dept. is managing info. e-files and it will cost $$$$$ xxxx amount.  Let's sit down and talk what we need to clear off so your sr. management can sign off, worry-free.

Matters of censorship, information literacy....are a blend of humanities and social sciences. Law can be argued both pure humanities OR social sciences, depending which areas of law.

29 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

He calls social sciences "fuzzy science"  so nope, anything math/science based is what he expects.  

I don't blame any parent thinking this way.  It's just if  parent has a child who is particularily strong/gifted in arts or social sciences, the child shouldn't be pushed too hard into STEM if they continue to struggle to excel. Or parent learns to compromise if the child chooses electives or minor in some STEM.

I've always believed so strongly that teen also works part-time in sr. years in summers, so that they have skin in the game and decision /ownership for their university/college program selection. (in addition to practical work experience in real world outside of family).