Some Sage Advice

Razors Edge

...for my trip later this year!  New to me is the "magic". I might try just to say I tried it (really would normally go long black, flat white, or cappuccino). Also, gotta see how the Kiwis talk coffee.

General Tips
Don’t just ask for a coffee. Start by stating whether or not the drink is for takeaway, then the size, then the style. Specificity is key—the beauty of Australian espresso drinks is not only in their careful creation but also their adaptability. Locals are unafraid to ask for customization: strong or weak, a dollop of foam, sweetened, and topped up with milk are all common requests. Alternative milks are popular, and most cafes carry soy or almond for nondairy drinkers. Ordering something “skinny,” as in most places, gets you skim milk instead of full fat.

After perfecting your order, prepare to hang out for a few minutes. Baristas have to measure and pull espresso, steam and froth milk, and create a signature swirl for you, plus a half dozen or so other eager coffee drinkers. Don’t fret; a good flat white, cap, or long black is worth the wait and the coinage.

AussieCoffee.jpg.cfacc3de84fbf8a96f207bbf87c0df88.jpg

Magic:

This is where the ristretto becomes Australian. Invented in Melbourne (though Sydneysiders claim it as their own) a magic is steamed milk poured over a double ristretto, served in a 6-ounce cup. Generally, only Melburnian baristas are familiar with this term.

Tom