May 10 Miles and activities

az_cyclist

Awww, man! I was excited to add my miles and such, and you killed it! Wow, nice stats AZ!

I finally downloaded the map my ride app and used it. Pretty neat! I don't have my computer on my bike, but I'm curious about the numbers. The app is nice 'cuz my phone stays in my jersey pocket, and I'm not continually obsessing over the numbers on the computer. Not sure how to find max mph. I tucked pretty nicely down South Bluff Hill and want to know the numbers. hmmm..

Anyway, 23.5 miles, only a 14.2 mph avg. Considering had a pretty good head wind here and there, and considering the weather was actually summer like (75 degrees, what the front door is that??), and considering only my third time outdoors this spring.... I had a blast!!!

P.S. My apologies to anyone who may have seen me and was blinded by my Yooper white legs. It was way too warm to cover them up with tights!

• Heart 2

I love to complain, and have been trying really hard for the past 10 or so years to stop, but damn, my ride today was brutal.

I did the same exact ride last year - I remind you last year my my first year on a road bike.  This year I took a training classes all winter, I rode my ass off in the basement and weigh 10 pounds less than when I did the ride last year.  I am in significantly better shape, probably the best shape of my life.  There was one point at the beginning when I was still pretty fresh and was pedaling downhill just to maintain my speed of 14!

Today
54.79 miles

Last year
52.73 miles (a little shorter than today because I forgot to pump my tires and turned around)

Today
Avg Moving Speed 14.3!!!  WTF is that?

Last year
Avg Moving Speed 14.6

Today
Moving Time 3:49:38 Longer than last year!

Last year

Moving Time 3:35:58

The wind was just killing me.  I really expected to be able to do this a lot faster than last year.  There were hundreds of flags along the way and they were all pointing toward me.  The ride was a little hilly and at some points I was going 7 - 8 mph.  I heard wind in my ears 100% of the ride, sometimes to the point I was being blown around.

I know I'm whining like a baby, but I was hoping for a better time.

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/497846413

I love to complain, and have been trying really hard for the past 10 or so years to stop, but damn, my ride today was brutal.

I did the same exact ride last year - I remind you last year my my first year on a road bike.  This year I took a training classes all winter, I rode my ass off in the basement and weigh 10 pounds less than when I did the ride last year.  I am in significantly better shape, probably the best shape of my life.  There was one point at the beginning when I was still pretty fresh and was pedaling downhill just to maintain my speed of 14!

Today
54.79 miles

Last year
52.73 miles (a little shorter than today because I forgot to pump my tires and turned around)

Today
Avg Moving Speed 14.3!!!  WTF is that?

Last year
Avg Moving Speed 14.6

Today
Moving Time 3:49:38 Longer than last year!

Last year

Moving Time 3:35:58

The wind was just killing me.  I really expected to be able to do this a lot faster than last year.  There were hundreds of flags along the way and they were all pointing toward me.  The ride was a little hilly and at some points I was going 7 - 8 mph.  I heard wind in my ears 100% of the ride, sometimes to the point I was being blown around.

I know I'm whining like a baby, but I was hoping for a better time.

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/497846413

you had a real hill to climb there at mile 33!

• Heart 1

good job to both Smudge and Square Wheels.   :2: 

I certainly dont want my rides to be a wet blanket to anyone.  We are empty nesters, and I have the time to ride. Ten years ago my long ride for the week would be 20-25 miles on a Sunday afternoon.

• Heart 1

Square Wheels:  If you were in last year's shape, you'd have probably said screw it at about mile 4. This year you held in there and completed the route despite the wind. I hate wind. I'd have whined probably even harder than you.   Good job for sticking with it!

AZ: Technically I'm an empty nester too... But the darned job gets in the way of getting in more riding time. Ah well, if you want to be able to afford all the bike bling, gotta have the job!   Ya, keep posting your routes so we can live vicariously through you for extra ride time!  Oh wait. You're in Arizona; your temps are much better for more outdoor riding too. Ha! That helps.

• Heart 2

Square Wheels:  If you were in last year's shape, you'd have probably said screw it at about mile 4. This year you held in there and completed the route despite the wind. I hate wind. I'd have whined probably even harder than you.   Good job for sticking with it!

AZ: Technically I'm an empty nester too... But the darned job gets in the way of getting in more riding time. Ah well, if you want to be able to afford all the bike bling, gotta have the job!   Ya, keep posting your routes so we can live vicariously through you for extra ride time!  Oh wait. You're in Arizona; your temps are much better for more outdoor riding too. Ha! That helps.

Thanks smudge.  The retirement years are getting closer, though.  As for the temps, remember the "temps are much better for more outdoor riding" in June, July, August, and September ;)

Heh, heh.  Good point!

When I was a kid I was in AZ (Apache Junction, Mesa, Pheonix area) during early June. I HATED going from the air conditioned car to the air conditioned store, restaurant, etc. Las Vegas (about 10 years later) was just as bad. This Yooper girl is just not used to that heat. I can't imagine trying to ride a bike even in the very early hours out there in the summer. (I'm melting just thinking about it)

I'm hoping to get in a little ride tomorrow morning before work. Temps supposed to be around 38-40 at that time. Greaaaaaat.