My new 28'er.

donkpow

So I was walking through the bike store and saw a bike for sale. I inquired and the salesman said it was on clearance priced @ $1100 USD. A 2017 Cannondale Touring 1. Tiagra 4703 shifter/brake levers, FD, RD. FSA compact crank. Avid BB7 brakes w/160 mm rotors. A Tubus EVO rack. Welgo pedals. Schwalbe Marathon 28" x 1.5" (622x40) tires. I put my pump and saddle, a couple of water bottle cages, and the saddle bag off another bike. I took the 11-34T cassette and mixed in a 16-27 junior development cassette. That gives me something that makes sense at 16-34T. I still need to adjust fit.

bike1.thumb.jpg.07450dd0c43b47130227322f0e15ac1b.jpg

bike2.thumb.jpg.b571fd27b5b3bbfce7c07a2845417683.jpg

bike3.thumb.jpg.3b9c9127f434f830134c95ca758c5ad3.jpg

bike4.thumb.jpg.367c1b27d042ae408fb400a724cd41d0.jpg

bike5.thumb.jpg.8e0a071dc63ec2f4836d5378ea290529.jpg

bike6.thumb.jpg.c9c5817fba5fea6c41b6ad9074a800eb.jpg

bike7.thumb.jpg.441671b743f8519fcb9e983590f993b0.jpg

• Heart 4

21 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...cool.  I :wub: Schwalbe Marathon tyres, but they only make sense for me on a couple of my bikes. A Schwalbe Marathon is the only bike tyre I ever got replaced under warranty, and it was pretty easy. I get the sense the company has some integrity.

I've never heard a bad word on the tire. I have Gatorskins on the other bikes and while I have no issue with them, others have expressed concerns. Frankly, when I read the spec sheet on this bike, I objected to the tire size. It's way more than you need. That being said, I think the rubber on this bike is probably a major part of ride quality. I've only ridden home from the bike shop so I haven't had much chance to evaluate the tires. The reflective sidewalls are good.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Hey, GREAT looking bike!

But, I think those are 29" - not 28" - wheels & tires :)

A 622 is a 700/29".

I thought the same thing, but it really does say 28 x 1.5 on the sidewall.

Enjoy the ride. Looks like a good one. My only question would be why don't they put cage mounts on the fork?

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

But, I think those are 29" - not 28" - wheels & tires :)

A 622 is a 700/29".

Wrong! Sorry. :dontknow:

1 minute ago, dennis said:

It has to do with the height of a mounted and inflated tire. 622 is the bead seat diameter. Now that I have disc brakes, I am free of the conventions set by "The Man". I can have as much rubber as I want in a tire. 

The tire is also labeled as 700 x 38c and measures 38 mm wide as installed.

5 minutes ago, dennis said:

Enjoy the ride. Looks like a good one. My only question would be why don't they put cage mounts on the fork?

Yeah, it does!  Wow.  All their 700/622's are called 28"s!!!

image.png.6cbd13be6c4e6f99da1b0d57e5d0913b.png

"The silliest answer to this question would be to say that the difference is exactly 1 inch. Another answer would be: There is no difference.

Both tire sizes have the same inner diameter of 622 mm and can therefore be fitted on the same rims.

In Europe, 28 inches is a traditional size for touring bicycles. In many countries it is even the most frequent tire size used. In countries outside Europe the rim diameter of 622 mm is only rarely used. Bicycle travelers who want to buy spare tires for a 28-inch touring bicycle anywhere in the world, can tell you a thing or two about it.

A few years ago 29 inch tires were introduced as a new wheel size for mountain bikes in the US. The marking was created, as the MTB tires are more voluminous and the outer diameter measures approximately 29 inches.

Both indications are, however, very imprecise. A less wide 28 inch tire, e.g. with a tire width of 23 mm, which is usual for a road bike, has in fact only an outer diameter of something more like 26 inches. In the case of a tire width of 40 mm,
it is more or less correct that the outer diameter measures 28 inches. In the case of very wide tires with 60 mm or more, the actual outer diameter measures almost 30 inches."

https://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/size_markings

4 hours ago, donkpow said:

I forgot to say, there is an additional cage mount under the down tube. 

Three of my bikes have a cage under the down tube. I love it. I carry water or one of these tool kegs there. I think I might ditch my Niner fork in favor of a Salsa Firestarter so I can carry stuff on the fork.

http://www.bikepacking.com/index/forks-with-bottle-cage-mounts/

Metal K.E.G.

2 hours ago, dennis said:

Three of my bikes have a cage under the down tube. I love it. I carry water or one of these tool kegs there.

I always wonder what keeps the water bottle from getting covered in all sorts of muck.  Is it more along the lines of that it DOES get covered in dirt, but once you screw off the lid, you can transfer the water to a clean bottle sort of thing?

I like the idea of the tool keg for that space.

2 hours ago, donkpow said:

What is the threaded insert inside the fork blade used for?

No idea. Seems odd.

26 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I always wonder what keeps the water bottle from getting covered in all sorts of muck.  Is it more along the lines of that it DOES get covered in dirt, but once you screw off the lid, you can transfer the water to a clean bottle sort of thing?

I like the idea of the tool keg for that space.

This. I usually just switch the cap.

The keg works well. I can keep it packed for bikepacking and just switch it from bike to bike. I just keep a tube on each bike. The seat bag tool kit wasn't working for me with four bikes. Specialized makes the keg.

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, donkpow said:

No, that's the outside ones. There are two identical inserts on the inside of the fork? At first I was thinking speed sensors?

Those are seemingly for fenders, and you should be mounting fenders on that bike!  I personally haven't ever used those mounting points, but that does seem reasonable. Not sure if this explanation from the webs helps:

They're for full fenders. Many disc road and fitness/urban/hybrid bikes now have them here in order to completely avoid strut interference with the brake. To install the fenders neatly I've been mounting the fender, then mounting the struts sticking off into space in the general direction they'll run in from the mount, then bending one with a non-marring plier or adjustable wrench in each hand to get the strut pointing straight into the eyebolt of the fender, and then bending the other to match.

• Awesome 1