Ontogenesis

donkpow

I'm not going to modify the tongue. I'd have to practically rework the whole thing. If I were making a second one, I could apply lessons learned and make it come out right.

The next area for work is the rear 'triangle'. I've been thinking about it. Working on some numbers and general layout.

dropout3.jpg.fb2b8c0012302fbf12382979dc2034bc.jpg

Today's morsel. I went out this AM to set up the legs for the wheel. I'm switching over to a 27" wheel. I got a couple and I won't have to buy a tire or tubes. It's only an inch or so more.

You see here a layout including the trailer bed (to the left) and the dropouts in mock up. I'll be fastening the legs to the trailer bed frame. Welded underneath. I need to target the dropouts which are about 7 1/2" in and 5" above  the trailer. Those numbers will give me about 9" of ground clearance (more or less). I need to be able to bend the tubes and both tubes need to be the same.

layout.jpg.5e0d78495a4bd9313bc7a1e8ae88bbce.jpg

I bend it to the form.

first.jpg.5536a57a1078d060120c129a29efa2bd.jpg

Rotate the leg such that I have 5" of lift.

one.jpg.1b3ec9ff88b343d21e6af6befeb66124.jpg

Objective realized.

objective.jpg.b85f90b8064524c5206b21931bd459fb.jpg

• Awesome 1

Lots of work this week but not much of it picture worthy. Just some grinding and looking and thinking and looking and thinking. The bushings for the tongue pivot came in. Bushing are bearings. Ball bearings are considered anti-friction bearings since the balls rotate. I guess you could call the bushings friction bearings. They are made of oil impregnated bronze. The oil seeps out during operation and then returns to the bronze when motion stops.

bushing.thumb.jpg.e844d736a582fb94753a45f2ed4e71e2.jpg

In order to press the bushings into place, the tube needs to be perfectly round.

bushing2.thumb.jpg.bc29a04c48b3c36ff5916f1a35ee254b.jpg

I made a tool for that called a swage. I cut off the threads and tapered the end. 

swage.thumb.jpg.bc37b8b7284ccb17a7198881a1bfde3d.jpg

Now I'll work it into the tube to force the tube into roundness.

swage2.thumb.jpg.ad2fb2c15fce54bee678b8edac263268.jpg

Another tool I made, something to clean up the inside of the tube. Cut from a 3/8" bolt and slit the end with a hacksaw.

tool.thumb.jpg.5d8c94c7a206fd13255493bd3d8a2fa0.jpg

This allows me to insert the emery cloth into it, chuck it up in the drill, and sand the inside of the tube. The bushings are 'press fit' dimensions so are slightly larger than the tube ID. The tube needs to be perfect.

tool2.thumb.jpg.e343da8abf830ed7dc532037d9ddd0c7.jpg

A little treat. I attached the wheel and legs to the trailer temporarily. Checking the fit and some additional dimensions.

cart.jpg.54937df632606519702ec93a6fc80307.jpg

After I do some welding, some tweaking will have to be done.

cart2.jpg.a49ccf46c935a2d5fc2ceb75760c9138.jpg

Speaking of welding, the welder broke down today. It took a couple of hours to troubleshoot and get the parts. It will take a week for the part to come in. That's a monkey wrench in the works for you. I had planned to do quite a bit of welding today.

• 3 weeks later...

I put the failed part in the welder. This is the welder. It is a Hobart 140. You can plug it into a 120 volt 20 amp outlet. It's not too expensive and can be used in a garage, barn, attached to a generator, ... Handy little thing.

140ad99e7ba5b8af223a86231aba8589fd08da9e_15240347_15240347_image_15240347_3.jpg

The part that failed was the wire feed speed control potentiometer. Really easy to replace, cost $30 for an OEM part. I did some welding after the repair and it works fine. Now I don't feel completely incompetent. The failing part was giving inconsistent wire speed so I could never get a handle on the welding. One minute too fast, another too slow. 

On 12/29/2019 at 6:25 PM, Square Wheels said:

Making things with metal looks fun.

I knew an old guy who went out into his attached garage and made little things out of empty food and coffee cans. His tools were just a couple of pairs of snips, some files, and a propane torch. Reminded me of the WWII POW's who made utensils and whatever they needed out of whatever they could find or scavenge. Metal working doesn't necessarily take a lot of big money tools. You can if you want but not necessarily. I think that a person could start with an investment in a good oxy/acetylene torch. You can do a lot with that; cutting, welding, bending, heat treatments. Just tons of stuff with that.

I did a bunch of stuff while the welder was down. The weather was good so I put a lot of time into the landscaping project I am working on. Got all the dirt moved and a rough grade in place. Now i just need to do the final grade, create a seed bed and plant it. On the trailer, I remade one of the rear triangle legs  and created some other pieces. Once I get set up, I'll be able to get some final dimensions and  put that stuff together. Future post.

Here, I show the work I did on the center pivot. There's a ton of handwork here. The flat metal pieces get welded to the trailer frame. They are attached to an axle type thing within the pivot tube. The axle rotates inside the bushings. This allows the trailer to swing following in an arch during slow speed turn.

final.thumb.jpg.e85afda6d7555663062d0b656e6599d5.jpg

This is the axle type thing with the plates attached.

pivot2.thumb.jpg.004c8077a5ad2fdb5f5f4c7fdf624fce.jpg

It's a piece of thick wall tubing that I cleaned up, the same stuff I am using to backup the butt welds on the frame. There is a flat part filed into the end so that the plates key to the shaft. This ensures the axle pivots inside the bushings. I have threaded the inside of the tube to accept the retaining bolts.

pivot1.thumb.jpg.9264ec36221bdad36421db9b3e9b86d8.jpg

The plates ride on the flange of the bushings. I've built in the ability to adjust plate to plate dimension to compensate for wear. That's why you see the additional washer under the bolt. It allows the axle to stick out of the plate just a little. Sort of like the hollow axle on your bike. The bolts aren't heavily torqued. If they were, the plates would squeeze the bushing flanges and keep the axle from rotating. So what we do here is put some special thread locker on the bolt threads and just turn the bolts in until proper contact of the plate to the bushing flange is achieved. Normal thread lockers like "Loctite" depend on the bolt thread inserted into the nut and tightened to the point that air cannot get to it. This stuff gets put on the bolt threads before the bolt gets put in. Just let it dry and run it up to where you need it and walk away.

vc35ml__74929.1443023471.jpg?c=2

• Awesome 1

• 3 weeks later...

Tweaking. I need to get the wheel centered up, running straight, and plumb. It's a bit of twisting and levering.

tweak.thumb.jpg.ddf9b654d0dd4731055a980adc99308d.jpg

Also considering how the rest of it is going to go together. I don't have many more pieces to fabricate. Mostly just the final assembly and some bracing. I am a little worried whether the legs can hold the wheel in place. I have concluded that the tongue on the front of the trailer is more than strong enough to do the job. 

future.thumb.jpg.70d73b2e822e686b56f906068571893a.jpg

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I'm having the thought that the legs of the wheel may be too flexible to steady the load. I am using modified bicycle dropouts for the wheel, primarily for the rack braze-ons. That gives me three attachment points to the trailer frame; The equivalent of the chain stays, seat stays, and forward rack mount. Unfortunately, two of the attachments are in a single plane, leaving only the legs to counteract sideways forces. I may need to brace. Thinking I'll wait for the trial runs to see.

I worked on the trailer this weekend. I welded the three major components together; the fork, the trailer bed frame, and the wheel stays. It looks like a trailer now but can't carry any weight. Working on the equivalent of a seat post in the rear triangle design, I had to rework it because I drilled some holes out of position. Razor's Edge was right, this thing is long. It is actually longer, end to end, than the bike. I hope it doesn't wag. I am trying to cope with the idea of complete failure. :lol:

• Hugs 1

On 2/16/2020 at 7:09 PM, donkpow said:

I am trying to cope with the idea of complete failure. 

It can't be a "complete" failure if you learn something along the way.  Either this "version 1.0" is gonna work well enough you are satisfied, or you'll have lots of lessons learned to help you if you ever do a version 2.0!

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

It can't be a "complete" failure if you learn something along the way.  Either this "version 1.0" is gonna work well enough you are satisfied, or you'll have lots of lessons learned to help you if you ever do a version 2.0!

It's definitely "the journey" type situation. I could get a properly engineered, designed, and manufactured trailer for way less than the value of the time I've spent on this one. I was out there this morning having a look at the project up on the table. I'm not too far off the mark. Some parts of the table are coming together better than others. If I were seeking extreme quality, I'd end up scrapping the project every time I advanced on a segment. The totality also resides in speculation at this point. Aesthetics are not in a good place for me overall. If I place all my eggs in the performance basket, I'll need the thing not to wag.

Hit a milestone:

start.jpg.e2f549d1e4ab53f31c4d28f39e62326a.jpg

start2.jpg.f14d859108b853c01c95726cfd26b7a7.jpg

This whole thing started for me because I couldn't find a tub to fit my little trailer. Eventually, one came on the market and it fit the bed of the trailer. It's not so much that I need more hauling capacity but I can now fit a more commonly available tub into the trailer. Here I've set up the trailer with accessories temporarily. There are some details to finish and I need to fit the floor.

441601125_finishside.jpg.631e8ad00cb74eb34aac80ec1d401805.jpg

finish2.jpg.177a8ab1155c79076b1b5f6d6a511471.jpg

• Awesome 1

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

That's huge, I had not idea it was that big.  Cool.

Indeed. This trailer is 62", axle to axle. My small trailer is 48", axle to axle, and the bike is 42", axle to axle. It seems to me, most of the single wheel trailers are suited for off road use.  This one is not. :lol: Generally, I can't see that excess length is a big problem. There are folks hauling enclosed camping trailers behind a bike, albeit on two wheels. Tracking around curves may be an issue to consider, I saw this video about another DIY single wheel bicycle trailer a few years ago. This guy improves handling by steering the trailer wheel.

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Two weeks of testing ought to have revealed something!  Any news?

You are an evil task master. You understand I almost died of a virus recently and yard work has to be done and I have to worry about distancing myself from others and the stock market crashed and to top it all off, there is a toilet paper shortage. Give me a break!

2 hours ago, donkpow said:

You are an evil task master. You understand I almost died of a virus recently and yard work has to be done and I have to worry about distancing myself from others and the stock market crashed and to top it all off, there is a toilet paper shortage. Give me a break!

I was giving you an excuse to got putz around on the bike trailer and report back to us!

• Haha 1