Quick, Power, and Connecting Links

Razors Edge

A Shimano 11sp "Quick Link" is $16.99.  A similar SRAM "Power Lock" is $4.25. And Shimano's connecting pins are 3 for $11 ($3.67 ea).  

Why would people buy a Shimano quick link if it is supposed to be a one time use thing? Why wouldn't you break the chain with a chain tool and use a pin to reconnect it?  What am I missing? :scratchhead:

shihg1-1.jpgsa11p1-1.jpg

shpn31-1.jpg

Quick links are reusable, even when they say they are not (to some degree YMMV) but KMC does make reusable ones, so for chain removal and cleaning, they are great.

The replacement pins are not completely idiot proof, and while I've successfully installed lots of them, I've seen the job botched more than a few times. 

• Thank You 1

15 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

Quick links are reusable, even when they say they are not (to some degree YMMV) but KMC does make reusable ones, so for chain removal and cleaning, they are great.

The replacement pins are not completely idiot proof, and while I've successfully installed lots of them, I've seen the job botched more than a few times. 

In general, I break a chain once - to replace it.  The only other time would be a derailleur swap.  I used pins many times in the past and always felt happy with them. The last time I replace my 11sp chain on my Tarmac using the suppled quick link, it was a PITA compared to the pin.  "Forcing" it to lock into place vs just screwing the pin in using the chain tool and breaking off that extra bit.   

Maybe if I was a big "off the bike" chain cleaner the quick link would make more sense.  Even now, with a quick link on my Tarmac's chain, I don't have the tool to open it.  Easier/cheaper to break the chain and replace the pin.  But again, I might be way off base with this as I do it so rarely - new chain ever 2-3 years.