Waymo

groupw

People ask if I’m nervous driving around these self-driving taxis. I just tell them I’ve seen more stupid moves by them when a human occupies the driver’s seat than when they are driverless. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

How widespread are self-driving taxis??  I'm not aware of any jurisdiction in CAnada using them.  I hear of self-driving trucks out in the oil fields....which makes alot of sense for huge tracts of empty land to cross over. I'm not sure what is being used on very large farms but that would require considerable $$$ investments by farmer, when already they are cash-strapped because of the risks in weather for successful yield.

8 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

How widespread are self-driving taxis??  I'm not aware of any jurisdiction in CAnada using them.  I hear of self-driving trucks out in the oil fields....which makes alot of sense for huge tracts of empty land to cross over. I'm not sure what is being used on very large farms but that would require considerable $$$ investments by farmer, when already they are cash-strapped because of the risks in weather for successful yield.

It’s still fairly new. I don’t know about the other cities Waymo covers, but it takes time to teach the car new areas of the valley before they go driverless. They are training them to drive I-10 right now. I wouldn’t say they are ubiquitous here, their sensors make them stand out. But they are becoming increasingly popular. One advantage they have over Uber and Lyft is consistency. Even at the same price point, I have seen wild variation in the quality of the car and drivers that have picked me up on Uber. 

• Heart 1