Great day at the dry land race.

Digital_photog

Balto really impressed most of them who watched him. Many of their leaders were "trail leaders". Great at following a trail.  Balto is working with 95% accuracy as a "command leader".  Works on voice commands. They were impressed how well he did that at 11 months old.  Many command leaders are 3 to 5 years old before they get that good. Others never become reliable as command leaders but are great at following a trail.

• Heart 1

Not everyone had a great day. This woman was running the 5 dog cart race.  4 of her beautiful Samoyeds had never raced before.  The dogs had to stop and tangle up for every person they passed.  Passing incoming teams was a major problem.  It took her over an hour to complete the 5 mile course. Dogs have a mind of their own and you can't force them to do what you want.  A little like kids.  LOL

I'm sure @Airehead is glad dogs in agility  competition never act like this.  ;)

DSCN2822.jpg.d1dca53574a7a9dffb2ec098aeee464c.jpg

DSCN2824.jpg.871285b37b8cab72a2bbf15d1ffcfaed.jpgDSCN2824.jpg.871285b37b8cab72a2bbf15d1ffcfaed.jpg

DSCN2827.jpg.a68d2f9a2c33dd04dfdb411ee1ea59c1.jpg

She looked worn out and discouraged by the time she finished the course.  It doesn't bother me so much if it only messes me up but I hate it when my dogs mess up someone elses run.

That is why I chose to stay back in my races till I saw that my dogs would not cause problems.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

a well trained 3 dog Samoyed team.   Samoyeds are a lot like the malamutes, not real fast but can pull a lot of weight. They won't win big races and you won't see them in any major sled races but they are beautiful dogs.  This man and his wife had a woman with them who was in a wheelchair.  They and a equipment vendor rigged up a hitch for the 3 dogs to her wheelchair.  These dogs were excellent command dogs and took vocal commands very well.  You could see she was having a great time driving them around the parking lot in her wheelchair. I didn't take a picture but it was fun to watch.  The dog owners stayed close to in case she had any problems. @Airehead think how much fun your students could have with a team like that.  While pulling the chair the dogs just walked but she still had a great time.

DSCN2841.jpg.1115bfc32b7fb9a4ba1f9b6640cbb59d.jpg

We had nearly 100 entries in the event. 

People came from North Carolina, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin, Illinois Ontario and Quebec.  I commented to the ones from Maryland that they came a long way for this event. They said it is one of the nicest, most fun and best run dry land races anywhere and is well worth the trip.  I guess I'm lucky that the best is only 68 miles from home.

• Heart 1

That really looks fun! And those dogs are so very happy!  Glad to hear your dogs did well.

Did you say something to the girl with the male dog with bad manners?? I would have. I understand it's a race, but when you have a participant with bad manners....

I'm looking forward to the pics of you and your dogs. I hope you find some. 

42 minutes ago, smudge said:

That really looks fun! And those dogs are so very happy!  Glad to hear your dogs did well.

Did you say something to the girl with the male dog with bad manners?? I would have. I understand it's a race, but when you have a participant with bad manners....

I'm looking forward to the pics of you and your dogs. I hope you find some. 

The only picture I saw was a video on Facebook that was past the finish line.  Back at the start chute before we go back to the dog yard.  Some would put on a show for the video. Shila was tired from the run so I didn't push her to run there. I'm the last one in this video. Yellow long sleeve bike jersey.   This was the middle video of 3 from this class.

https://m.facebook.com/events/128372441198715?view=permalink&id=137918050244154

See if this works for you.

Just now, Further said:

All the dogs look so happy!

I see a lot of Huskie type dogs at the lake lately, they usually look bored and frustrated, walking 3 miles on a leash is not why these dogs developed. 

You have some lucky dogs, D.P.   :)

They love to run.  I think they are killing me trying to keep up with them. 

• Heart 1