I Think I'm Done With Speedplay

Razors Edge

...and am entertaining suggestions on other pedal systems.  Generally leaning toward SPD SL, but could see other ones which all seem relatively similar. Maybe the Keos?

Speedplay has royally screwed their customers with the current cleats - "walkable aero" nonsense.  The more I look, the more I see bits of the cleat cover things on the side of the road.  The original cleats were simple and easy to use andd relatively inexpensive. Less true with this newer option.

Tom

11 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Maybe the Keos?

I've been a LOOK user since around 1990. Their Delta pedals were amazing and lasted me 25 years. The only thing that finally wore was the platform which made for a loose feel. But again, 25 years is a good run for one set of pedals. Oh, and I replaced the bearings IIRC only three times. I even measured the spindle diameter where the needle bearings rode and compared it to the diameter where they didn't, and there was very minimal wear. Great product indeed. A few years ago LOOK sent me a pair of LOOK KEO Blade pedals, from an online contest. It's their bottom pedal in the lineup. Recently I've noticed a loose feel despite using cleats w/ zero float. The cleat lever is not holding them in well. I did some googling and found blade kits are available, which includes the blades, and levers, and screws. I should get it this Saturday. I'm not too happy that LOOK parts are wearing out so soon, and seeing that replacement kits are available it will definitely happen. Maybe the higher end carbon blades are better, mine are just a composite. If I had to buy pedals now I may go w/ Shimano SPD-SL or LOOK KEO 2 MAX because they have spring tension adjustment over the blades.,  The one thing about the Keo Blades is, there is no tension adjustment, just blade replacement of various torque values.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

On 9/19/2018 at 6:16 PM, Razors Edge said:

...and am entertaining suggestions on other pedal systems.  Generally leaning toward SPD SL, but could see other ones which all seem relatively similar. Maybe the Keos?

Speedplay has royally screwed their customers with the current cleats - "walkable aero" nonsense.  The more I look, the more I see bits of the cleat cover things on the side of the road.  The original cleats were simple and easy to use andd relatively inexpensive. Less true with this newer option.

Tom

I've been on Look pedals for decades and my current pedals are 10 years old and going strong. I put Shimano Ultegra pedals on my wife's bike and they are sweet. Great bang for the buck and uber light.

There seems to be a fair amount of love and hate on speed plays whereas it seems it's a matter of preference with the others but not as much hate.

I'd think you can't go wrong with either Shimano or Look.