New Sirrus, frame size issue. Help!

smudge

I have a 2005 Sirrus Sport Disc that is getting tired. Love the bike, love the disc brakes; so I'm looking for another. Only problem is the wheels; they don't spin too freely no matter what you do. I've had a couple guys from a couple different shops look at it, and I still have the problem. So... I'm over it. My Specialized dealer will take it in toward trade, so that'll help with the price of the new one.

I'll still have the Roubaix (ain't no one gettin' that bike!), but I'd like a knock around bike too.

Here's the problem. I am runty with a super short inseam. (5'3 with 28" inseam) My Roubaix is the 49 cm frame, and my 05 Sirrus is an XS. The problem is the bike I want is no longer made in the XS frame. Yes, I want orange. Yes, I want disc brakes. No, I don't want the Vita Elite. Think I'll be able to make the small frame work? It won't be a long distance bike; it'll be more like a playing around bike or riding occasionally w/ my daughter who doesn't ride too often (she has a Vita). A small should work out, eh? (Yes, I'm hoping for a lot of "YES it will work" answers..)

http://www.specialized.com/us/...-elite-disc#geometry

Ya, I can't wait! I felt bad standing there talking about my older Sirrus as he looked it over to determine a trade-in price; we put on many happy miles together! And, of course, just Friday I loaded it up on the car/bike rack to take it on one last road trip to GR, got mad at that front wheel 'cuz it wasn't sitting in the drop-outs securely, jammed it up in there, clamped down the quick-release, and the wheel is spinning better than it has in about 3 years! sigh.... Well, I got in a nice ride with my daughter in Grand Rapids; I was afraid it was gonna be pure hell to just ride 20 miles fighting with that wheel, but it was a very nice ride! I'll be taking that wheel off to put the bike inside my car for the trip back home (way better gas mileage that way), and I really hope I can replicate the successful wheel mounting for free spinning. 

I had been saying I was gonna treat myself to a new bike for my 50th birthday. My intent was to add a 3rd bike to the stable, but this works too. 

Thanks! I had seen a Myka in orange and a Vita in orange, and I really needed an orange bike! They have a satin orange finish, and this is more like a regular paint job. But it's nifty. I like it!   I have to get all white bottle cages for it for a little more white so I can call it Creamsicle.   (blushy)

Oh. And it does have quick releases front and back. Yay!

And it has a compact crank. Something to get used to considering I keep getting triples!

I'm glad it has QR, that seems silly a bike as nice as that wouldn't.

Not sure where you live, but I started on a hybrid with a triple and found I was shifting all the time and had a lot of overlap in gearing.  I now have a compact and it's usually enough.  There aren't any really long hills where I ride so I've survived with it.  There was one ride I did last year where I stopped several times on some hills, but I refused to walk up them.  I learned the hard way it's nearly impossible to start on a steep hill.

Anyhow, ride, ride, ride!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not diggin' the compact crank, but it's not horrible. I have decided I love my triples!

The size issue is definitely noticeable, but it's not a bad thing. Kinda feels like it's too big, but kinda makes me feel like a big girl. Mostly it feels a little big.

Since the wheels can actually free wheel now, I AM enjoying the bike a lot more!  The newer aluminum frame is kinda different too.

All sorts of new things with this bike!  :)