Kancamagus highway

smudge

It was beautiful.  We went both ways.  Started in Conway went to Lincoln, had lunch and went back.

I ended up with just two bottles each way - filled up in Lincoln, but gave one to my wife on the ride back.

I'll post some pics tonight.

Here is where we started in Conway.

DSC05072-L.jpg

I still feel alive here.  Ready to go not knowing what I'm in for.  Damn I look fat in this pic, a few less cookies for me tonight.

DSC05073-L.jpg

Scenes like this all along the ride.

DSC05075-L.jpg

The wonderful wife trying to choke down some Perpetuem peanut butter concoction she made - looked like poop.  Damn she looks hot - I'm so lucky.

DSC05078-L.jpg

Still early in the day, the leaf peepers were all sleeping.  This was on the way up.  On the way down the same pick would have had 20 or more people in it.

DSC05088-L.jpg

Beautiful colors, but I wish we waited two more weeks.

DSC05090-L.jpg

Yay, I made it to the top.

DSC05094-L.jpg

No, it's not an illusion, this is steep for me.  I bailed out coming back from Lincoln I walked at least 1/2 mile up the hills.

DSC05103-L.jpg

I didn't get a pic of the one that said 9 1/2 % I saw when going down, it didn't seem prudent to stop for a pic at 40 mph.

DSC05104-L.jpg

Uh oh, someone woke them up, the people are coming, the people are coming.

DSC05108-L.jpg

NH is so pretty.

DSC05116-L.jpg

Time for lunch!  We tried to go easy on the food, we had tea to warm up a little and split a sandwich. 

1384353_10201434853371404_1150790759_n.j

This was a great ride and we had a wonderful time.  It was a 2 hour commute from our house, and we drove up and back in the same day.  Made for a very long day.

I was not prepared for how hard the climbs were.  It started with a very gradual climb, almost flat for about 20 miles, then it got steep for about 5 - 10.  After that it was mostly downhill until Lincoln.  I felt pretty good and wasn't worried about the ride back.  It was a similar ride back slow climb, then steep.  When it got steep, I experienced something I haven't had happen yet.  I still felt good, I was well fed and hydrated, but I ran out.  Simple as that, I just ran out of energy.  I could not go any further.  I got off for a little while and it didn't go away, so I walked a little.  Then I thought I was good, got on and just could not go more than 100 feet.  I felt totally drained.  Somehow made I to the top and damn what a great ride back down.  Close to 30 miles of downhill or flat roads.

I think my wife had more than she bargained for too, but she is an amazing person and she gave it her all.

I may try it again in two weeks if the weather i good.  My wife doesn't know I'm thinking about it, honey if you read this, I love you and you don't need to come.   :)

• Heart 2