Loaded up on LUV

MickinMD

I've owned Southwest Airlines stock (LUV) since first buying at $40.62/sh. in 2016 after liking its long-term results, durable competitive advantages, very-low debt, and S&P Quality IQ Reports saying it was the only airline with positive earnings for over 4 decades.

Southwest dropped another 7% after announcing its Q1 results this week where it lost $0.15/share ($0.24 expected by experts) - it's first quarterly loss in nearly a decade - and said Q2 will be worse.

But LUV is tremendously financially sound, and the experts are saying it will emerge from the pandemic stronger than the other airlines will.  It has durable competitive advantages with virtually all routes in the USA, all picked among the most profitable routes, and great cost efficiencies due to only flying one model of airplane, the 737.

I'm a Graham Buffett Value Investing Disciple who looks to the long term who doesn't beat the market by much but does beat it long-term and holds stocks unless the fundamentals change.

So, after making sure I have the money set aside for emergencies and the improvements I want added to my house when its rebuilt, I just added 1 share of LUV @ $28.95 for every 2 I've owned, exhausting the final half of the money I had budgeted to add to stocks late in 2020 if I met my budget's expectations. I had already used the other half to load up on Cracker Barrel Old Country Store (CBRL) and CVS (CVS) at the end of March.

There's a set if excellent articles here about current conditions and longterm outlooks that concludes: "...if investors do want to buy in and wait out a recovery, they should stick to top operators like Delta and Southwest. Today's headlines offer reason for hope, but the journey ahead is still likely to include significant turbulence... paradigm shifts that reduce business travel and encourage remote conferencing, as well as a gradual and painful opening of the U.S. economy will mean Southwest's rebound will take some time. With the right amount of patience, Southwest looks like a compelling investment."  https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/04/29/3-takeaways-from-southwest-airlines-q1-earnings-re.aspx

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1