New cables for my Ritchey Outback

az_cyclist

I got it put back together, mostly, last Saturday.  (Readers Digest update; due to unforseen circumstances I didnt have time to pack it and take it back to AZ with us when we left the Twin Cities in Augusts, so our son had a LBS pack it, then he shipped it to me via UPS).  The LBS removed the cassette, so, that was a problem for me.  Also I had issues in MN with the front derailleur; I could shift into the small ring, but could not get it back to the big ring.  I could hear the click, but the chain would not move.  I could stop and manually put the chain on the big ring, and it would work fine.  

I took the Ritchey to my LBS yesterday afternoon.  He put the cassette on n/c, then had me bring the bike in.  His first comment was how old are the cables?  They are the original cables from when they built the bike, in November 2020.  The mechanic suggested changing the cables yearly, depending on use.  The Ritchey has 14,611.6 miles on it, so new cables, housings, and bar tape (Lizardskins....love that bar tape).

The mechanic also suggested electronic derailleurs, SRAM to be exact.  SRAM does not use cables, and, the batteries are easily changed.  $$$, but I may consider it in the future.

• Heart 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, az_cyclist said:

The mechanic suggested changing the cables yearly, depending on use.  The Ritchey has 14,611.6 miles on it, so new cables, housings, and bar tape (Lizardskins....love that bar tape).

Oops :D  Im 26,000 miles in on the original brake cables :whistle:

1 hour ago, az_cyclist said:

The mechanic also suggested electronic derailleurs, SRAM to be exact.  SRAM does not use cables, and, the batteries are easily changed.  $$$, but I may consider it in the future.

Shimano Dura Ace and Ultrega Di2 12sp are both "semi-wireless", so you get much of the flexibility (& packability) of the SRAM, but with the Shimano fit, finish, and brakes :D  

And, maybe, the improved crankset that won't delaminate on you :frantics:

3 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

I am reasonably sure the mechanic was referring to the breakaway cables. uncoupling, recoupling, 

How do those work? I would have thought it would be a pretty robust coupler?  It looks like "normal" cables, then a coupler, then more normal cable.  Do you think they wear differently?  I would think the coupler would take the brunt of the decoupling/recoupling effort.

But I guess something like 12sp Di2 wouldn't be anything like this build below, since it would be hydraulic brakes and no shifting cables.  Not sure what the Richey answer is for hydraulic brakes when breaking it down for travel.