Sign in to follow this  
Page Turner

I looked at one of these current Stumpjumper 1x 's today...

...it was at Mike's Bikes, the local Spesh dealer here.  I stop in sometimes to say hello to a couple of people, and to give the shop dog a scratch behind the ears.  It was priced at $9, 500 and change, plus the 7.5% state and local sales taxes.  I stood there for a while trying to decide why.  I had no luck at all.  That's more than I paid total for all my cars and the Toyota truck ( which I bought new) up through 1986.

Here is what it looks like. The rear gearing is a work of art...like a mandala from Tibet.

specialized-s-works-mens-stumpjumper-29-

I have a hard time justifying high end mtn bikes as I'll likely F it up somehow.  My Anthem already has some battle scars from a high speed biff in a race and a low speed biff climbing up a technical rock garden.  

Not that I could afford it but I could justify high end road bikes but not something I'm going to get muddy.

2 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

18 hours ago, Myself said:

It looks dangerouis.  Buy it.

because I will not

FIFY

...I wonder if that's why it costs so much ?  Are they pricing it in anticipation of liability suits ?

Just now, Page Turner said:

...I wonder if that's why it costs so much ?  Are they pricing it in anticipation of liability suits ?

I doubt it. There's probably a safety sticker on the bike somewhere :)  I'm far from hard core.

...I live in anticipation of the Specialized legal action over use of the word "Purgatory".  I heard the cease and desist letter already went out to the pope.:)

1 hour ago, Page Turner said:

Nah, high end bikes are just damn expensive.  Lots of carbon, main triangle, rear triangle & rims.  That coupled with the price of high end forks, shocks, dropper posts and fancy finishing kit.  

"Good" mountain bikes are in the $4K - $5K range.  High end ones do push up towards $10K.

On 1/10/2019 at 10:13 AM, Page Turner said:

...I live in anticipation of the Specialized legal action over use of the word "Purgatory".  I heard the cease and desist letter already went out to the pope.:)

Spec took Epic and Roubaix and sue over the use. Time for the Pope to lawyer up.

$9500 and it doesn't even have the Trust Performance fork.