Ziggy Stardust

Dottleshead

In honor of of the Miami Dolphin's performance this Sunday I decided to give David Bowie's The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars a complete listen.  I had only heard a few songs off it and never listened to the whole thing.  Nothing says androgyny like Ziggy and the Miami Dolphins.  That album was released in 1972 and I was born in 1967.  First time I actually listened to the whole thing.  And while the subject matter is marginally interesting -- the music's great.  It's OK Miami.  Accept who you are -- 'cause Ziggy plays guitar --  jamming with Weird and Gilly -- and the Spiders from Mars.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

Still not sure I understand how the Miami Dolphins relate.... but no matter.

There are actually two Bowie albums I like better* - but that doesn't diminish the greatness of this one.  He really was an amazing talent, right through his final album.

* #1 - Station To Station; #2 - Aladdin Sane.  YMMV.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, TrentonMakes said:

Still not sure I understand how the Miami Dolphins relate.... but no matter.

There are actually two Bowie albums I like better* - but that doesn't diminish the greatness of this one.  He really was an amazing talent, right through his final album.

* #1 - Station To Station; #2 - Aladdin Sane.  YMMV.

Oh I was just teasing.  The Miami Dolphins got destroyed by the Ravens yesterday.  The seemed to be confused with their identity.  

Aladdin Sane?  Wasn't that his cocaine fueled years in L.A? It did get good reviews though.

7 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Aladdin Sane?  Wasn't that his cocaine fueled years in L.A?

I don't know about that - but I know Station To Station was.  He said he remembered nothing of the recording of that album.  Which boggles my mind.

The title track (which surely is not for everyone) plods along for about 5 minutes, then with a few drum hits it changes to more upbeat (~5:15) and that's one of my favorite moments of his entire catalog.

• Awesome 1

• 8 months later...
10 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I wonder whatever happened to the Spiders from Mars.

I read this excerpt out of the wiki page and my wife's exact comments were, "What kind of drugs are you on to come up with something like that?".  Pretty much my thoughts.

" It was produced by Bowie and Ken Scott and features contributions from Bowie's backing band the Spiders from Mars – comprising Mick Ronson, Trevor Bolder and Mick Woodmansey. The album was recorded at Trident Studios in London like his previous album Hunky Dory. Most of the album was recorded in November 1971 with further sessions in January and early February 1972.  Described as a rock opera and also a loose concept album, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars is about Bowie's titular alter ego Ziggy Stardust, a fictional androgynous bisexual rock star who acts as a messenger for extraterrestrial beings."

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Ziggy Stardust and Suffragette City were probably my favorites.  The last years I was in the service I was a big fan along with T-Rex, Traffic and a few other groups of that style.

Those songs stand the test of time. 

Before I opened this thread almost 9 months ago, I decided to give the whole album a listen for the first time.  It was before my time but I had to know what the hoopla was about.  Boy, I'm glad I did. Anyway, he really had some good stuff over the years but the Rise and Fall set the bar so high, he kinda doomed himself in a way.