New Lowes's with the Inspiration Bot

jsharr

In the 90's, they used to have more people with expertise working at Lowe's and Home Depot.  For example, I bought a house with awful, old, stained wall-to-wall carpeting that hid excellent maple hardwood floors under it.

My father knew how to use a floor sander - basically just keep moving it around when it's turned on - and we went to Home Depot to get stain and polyurethane coating. A worker there told us to forget about the stain and recommended a Behr polyurethane.  He said that after I applied the first coat, some fibers of the freshly sanded wood would absorb some of it and stand up a little.  I needed to very lightly sand that first coat after it dried.  Since I had no experience, he recommended that I avoid an electric sander and do it by hand with 120 grit (I think) sandpaper wrapped around a block of wood so I wouldn't take too much of the first coat off.  Then, vacuum and wipe off the floor and put the second coat on.

That worked fantastic!  I don't think I can get that level of advice like that in chain hardware stores now.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

In the 90's, they used to have more people with expertise working at Lowe's and Home Depot.  For example, I bought a house with awful, old, stained wall-to-wall carpeting that hid excellent maple hardwood floors under it.

My father knew how to use a floor sander - basically just keep moving it around when it's turned on - and we went to Home Depot to get stain and polyurethane coating. A worker there told us to forget about the stain and recommended a Behr polyurethane.  He said that after I applied the first coat, some fibers of the freshly sanded wood would absorb some of it and stand up a little.  I needed to very lightly sand that first coat after it dried.  Since I had no experience, he recommended that I avoid an electric sander and do it by hand with 120 grit (I think) sandpaper wrapped around a block of wood so I wouldn't take too much of the first coat off.  Then, vacuum and wipe off the floor and put the second coat on.

That worked fantastic!  I don't think I can get that level of advice like that in chain hardware stores now.

You can get that advice off Utube before you go to the store.