Dentist appointment

Parsnip Totin Jack

Just returned. We love our dentist’s office. Wo7 and I had appointments at 9:00. Today was routine cleaning. Wo7 went first and they set me up in a room where I watched the Princess Bride while I waited for my turn. Halfway through the movie the dentist came in and started cleaning my teeth. Took some photos. He used an ultrasonic cleaner, didn’t like how that was going so he switched to blasting the teeth with a fine powder. Never had that done before. Because I like black coffee I had some bad stains but they are all gone now!

• Heart 3

11 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

Just returned. We love our dentist’s office. Wo7 and I had appointments at 9:00. Today was routine cleaning. Wo7 went first and they set me up in a room where I watched the Princess Bride while I waited for my turn. Halfway through the movie the dentist came in and started cleaning my teeth. Took some photos. He used an ultrasonic cleaner, didn’t like how that was going so he switched to blasting the teeth with a fine powder. Never had that done before. Because I like black coffee I had some bad stains but they are all gone now!

Didn't he have to scrape any plaque? My brushing hasn't been good enough to avoid that and my dentist now tells me, "brush your gums more than your teeth."  When she cleans my teeth and scrapes something away or slashes into my gums and I grimace, she says, "Too damn bad! See what you get for not flossing enough?"

She's been either my dentist's assistant or my dentist for about 45 years and it's been at least 40 of them since we thought we had to be polite to each other!

7 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Didn't he have to scrape any plaque? 

Yes but he starts with a hydroponic tool the removes most plaque and it makes the scraping part easier. I used to have bleeding gums and periodontal disease but started using a waterpik flosser daily and my gums have improved significantly. I also use an oral rinse (listerine) to wash out the bad bacteria that attacks the tooth enamel. My dentist explains the why behind what he says as opposed to berating me. This partnership helps me to keep my teeth for a long time.