Has it ever made you wonder?

Road Runner

Colonel Klink being played by a German Jewish actor?  I don't know how Werner Klemperer did it.  Yes, he played the Commandant as a bungling idiot, but he was still playing the part of a German officer in a war where 6 million of his people; men, women and children were mercilessly rounded up and killed by the Germans.  How Mr Klemperer could even put on that uniform, even once, is beyond me.   

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

And M*A*S*H sometimes  replaces Andy Griffith in the coveted 9am - 11am slot on TV Land. The world is nuts. 

Andy has lasted a long time.  You can still watch his show many times a day here on different channels.  Always the old B&W ones, thankfully.  Those shows are 60 years old.  I would bet my great grandchildren will be watching them when they are 100 years old.   :)

• Hugs 1

49 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Colonel Klink being played by a German Jewish actor?  I don't know how Werner Klemperer did it.  Yes, he played the Commandant as a bungling idiot, but he was still playing the part of a German officer in a war where 6 million of his people; men, women and children were mercilessly rounded up and killed by the Germans.  How Mr Klemperer could even put on that uniform, even once, is beyond me.   

Ok, mind blowing time...ALL the major German figures on that show were Jewish.  Burkhalter, Hochstetter, and Klink, and I am not sure, but I think even Schulz was Jewish.  I had read that a precondition of playing Klink was that he never succeeded in getting the better of Hogan or the allies.

Sorry about the spelling of the names, I probably got one or two wrong, but I didn't feel like looking them up.

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Ok, mind blowing time...ALL the major German figures on that show were Jewish.  Burkhalter, Hochstetter, and Klink, and I am not sure, but I think even Schulz was Jewish.  I had read that a precondition of playing Klink was that he never succeeded in getting the better of Hogan or the allies.

Sorry about the spelling of the names, I probably got one or two wrong, but I didn't feel like looking them up.

The actors who played the four major German roles—Werner Klemperer (Klink),[14] John Banner (Schultz), Leon Askin (Burkhalter), and Howard Caine (Hochstetter)—were Jewish. Furthermore, Klemperer, Banner, and Askin were Jews who had fled the Nazis during World War II and Robert Clary (LeBeau) is a French Jew who spent three years in concentration camps. Clary says in the recorded commentary on the DVD version of episode "Art for Hogan's Sake" that he spent three years in a concentration camp, that his parents and other family members were killed there, and that he has an identity tattoo from the camp on his arm ("A-5714"). Likewise, John Banner had been held in a (pre-war) concentration camp and his family was killed during the war. Leon Askin was also in a pre-war France internment camp and his parents were killed at Treblinka. Howard Caine, who was also Jewish (his birth name was Cohen), was American, and Jewish actors Harold Gould and Harold J. Stone made multiple appearances playing German generals.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I had read that a precondition of playing Klink was that he never succeeded in getting the better of Hogan or the allies.

I still don't think that justifies it.  He puts on the German uniform and pretends to be part of the German machine that slaughtered 6 million of his brethren.  Money isn't everything.  Certainly he could have found other work in Hollywood at that time.  And even if he had to flip burgers, that would have been preferable to playing a Nazi Germany Army officer.

2 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I still don't think that justifies it.  He puts on the German uniform and pretends to be part of the German machine that slaughtered 6 million of his brethren.  Money isn't everything.  Certainly he could have found other work in Hollywood at that time.  And even if he had to flip burgers, that would have been preferable to playing Nazi Germany officer.

Wow, turns out he served in the US army during the war!  I never knew!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werner_Klemperer

• Heart 1

47 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Andy has lasted a long time.  You can still watch his show many times a day here on different channels.  Always the old B&W ones, thankfully.  Those shows are 60 years old.  I would bet my great grandchildren will be watching them when they are 100 years old.   :)

I remember watching comedies from the 20s and 30s in the 60s.  That was 30-40 years but seemed like 100!

• Heart 1