Bike Trail Vs Roads (smoother?)

I've always ridden both since 1996 on roadies but more often the trail, Santa Ana River Trail. Over the years, I have had so many people on cycling forums say that the trails are so much smoother than the roads. I think this topic comes up after speaking of wheel damage and flats iirc.

But over the last year, I have been riding roads and trails about 50/50.

I'm finding that it seems that the roads seem to be smoother than the trail. Tree roots and other obstacles on the trail that have really been getting to me lately. And it is a nice trail. For some reason, I'm just finding that the roads seem smoother.

Haven't had any wheel issues on the road or the trail so others saying that the trail is smoother is why, it is not why. :D

8 hours ago, Mr Beanz said:

I've always ridden both since 1996 on roadies but more often the trail, Santa Ana River Trail. Over the years, I have had so many people on cycling forums say that the trails are so much smoother than the roads. I think this topic comes up after speaking of wheel damage and flats iirc.

But over the last year, I have been riding roads and trails about 50/50.

I'm finding that it seems that the roads seem to be smoother than the trail. Tree roots and other obstacles on the trail that have really been getting to me lately. And it is a nice trail. For some reason, I'm just finding that the roads seem smoother.

Haven't had any wheel issues on the road or the trail so others saying that the trail is smoother is why, it is not why. :D

I do both, and find that each have their pros/cons.  In VA, with snow removal and salt damage and potholes from ice, they spend a significant amount of money on repairing roads.  They definitely have a schedule for repairs and repaving, so if you hit those roads near the end of the cycle, they suck. If you hit them just after they are paved, though, they are BUTTER for a couple years.  The main trail I ride is 45 miles long and also has a rolling repaving schedule, so every other year or so, they repave like 5 - 10 miles of it at one go.  Slowly, over time, the roots will buckle parts of it, though, and that makes it rougher until they do a spot repair or repave.

SoCal must save tons on not doing winter snow work, and can put time and energy into making roads that last a little longer or adding lanes. But, they also have crazy volume on many roads. 

• Heart 1

Man, there is construction everywhere here in SoCal. Trying to get to the mall which is 5 miles away is impossible at times. Big major roads have construction at the freeway underpasses, major roads have construction at major intersections, then you hit the back roads to get around and there is freakin' construction on these roads too. I don't mind improvements but they never finish. 2 or 3 major intersections have been under construction for over a year and never ends. And the work being done that is visible to passing motorists, I think I can get a shovel and make more of a change than they can. 

The trail I ride is pretty smooth compared to the others. But a few years ago, they got the bright idea to make it a little prettier in a couple of sections by adding trees along the side of the trail. Now there are lifted roots all along one section, maybe 100 of them in a 100 yard section. I've seen riders go down hard who are not familiar with the section.

Another thing getting me is the underpasses that are littered with glass. Homeless, punks, gangsters hang out there and are chased away every weekend by the cops. But still, they break bottles and lay them out on the trail to cause punctures. This last weekend, 3 ina row within 1/4 mile. Gets annoying.

I’d be interested to read of others perspectives on the matter but not sure if many will see this post here.

I stopped riding SART north of the 405 after the string of bike robberies some years back.  Then there was the homeless camps that took over. I did ride it once up to Anaheim stadium a few months ago and it was fine.

I ride specific routes that have good roads & trails from both a safety & road quality stand point. I tend to ride the San Diego Creek trail and ride more in South OC as the area has good roads & well marked bike trails & MUPS. 

So where I ride the quality & condition is really good for both roads & trails.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I’d be interested to read of others perspectives on the matter but not sure if many will see this post here.

I stopped riding SART north of the 405 after the string of bike robberies some years back.  Then there was the homeless camps that took over. I did ride it once up to Anaheim stadium a few months ago and it was fine.

I ride specific routes that have good roads & trails from both a safety & road quality stand point. I tend to ride the San Diego Creek trail and ride more in South OC as the area has good roads & well marked bike trails & MUPS. 

Oh, you're talking about this mess for like 2 miles straight. FTR, I never stopped riding there during that time till lately with the gas prices going up to $4.25+. Now I am appreciating the local roads more.

I was really happy when the homeless people started breaking into the Big A, stealing bulldozers, and burning down the area around the stadium. Seems that is when they started clearing out the druggies and gangbangers.

Sorry no, these 24 year old guys with tats all over their faces and the gals turning tricks are not Vietnam vets and I do not feel sorry for them.

0Burn1.jpg

0homeless.JPG

0homeless4.jpg

0junk4.JPG

DSCN4789.JPG

DSCN4796.JPG

DSCN4803.JPG

DSCN4807.JPG

DSCN4813.JPG

18 hours ago, ChrisL said:

The only CA trail I rode much was the San Luis Rey River Trail, and it was pretty much free of the homeless (there were some off in the woods along the riverbed), but it wasn't that "fun" of a trail unless the wind was at your back.  It was super exposed to wind coming in from the ocean, so always a headwind to negate a slight downhill.  I preferred by a wide margin the more direct and very wide bike lanes that ran right to the ocean and joined the ones on the coast. 

Mission Bay had the Bayside bike path which was fun, but more about poking along and stopping at various beaches on the bay.

Out here in VA, the sort of opposite is true as the roads that are "fun" are out west of me, and the trail is the most direct and efficient route to get there.  Super safe, mildly crowded, and well maintained.  I use it many times a week.

• Heart 2

22 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

The only CA trail I rode much was the San Luis Rey River Trail, and it was pretty much free of the homeless (there were some off in the woods along the riverbed), but it wasn't that "fun" of a trail unless the wind was at your back.  It was super exposed to wind coming in from the ocean, so always a headwind to negate a slight downhill.  I preferred by a wide margin the more direct and very wide bike lanes that ran right to the ocean and joined the ones on the coast. 

Mission Bay had the Bayside bike path which was fun, but more about poking along and stopping at various beaches on the bay.

Out here in VA, the sort of opposite is true as the roads that are "fun" are out west of me, and the trail is the most direct and efficient route to get there.  Super safe, mildly crowded, and well maintained.  I use it many times a week.

They've cleaned this mess up and moved them out. Free vouchers for 2 months in local hotels. :blink:  Yeah, they thrashed them too.  A few locals try to get it started but the authorities have to run through and run them out every weekend. At times, there are 2 or 3 big black SUVs out there taking care of bidness.

The trail is 30 miles one way so makes for a good ride. But like your trail, heading to the coast is very wind most time, just about every time.  There are some trail haters out here who say the trail is too easy. Myself, I find the trail tougher than the bike lanes along PCH, the nice bike lanes.

My trail times are slower than the bike lanes on PCH. 

PCH is 0%, the trail is minus a bit but slower by 3-4 MPH. That is the wind heading to the coast. I have had guys tell me that the trail is for sissies but I get faster speeds on the coastal roads and suffer more on the trail. :lol:

PCH, speeds of 20 on short segments. :party:

PCH1.JPG

The trail, short segments struggling to hold 16 even with the slight dh :blink:

SART1.JPG

• 2 months later...
On 10/18/2021 at 8:35 PM, ChrisL said:

Lol, where I live you have to take what you get.

On 10/18/2021 at 8:56 PM, Philander Seabury said:

I am just glad they don’t use that oil and chip crapola

Those are some of the best roads we have.

The Lake Wilhelm trail is paved and still in decent shape but the roots are starting to heave the pavement in some places.

The Allegheny River trail that I rode most of my September miles on has about 12 miles that will beat you up. Tree roots have heaved the pavement so bad you better have good tire pressure or you will get a pinch flat. The other 20 miles are ok. When I was going for miles in the challenge I stayed on the decent twenty mile part and just rode back and forth.

And then there is my road. They don’t have a clue how to maintain a dirt road but occasionally they get lucky. If they do get lucky it will only be for one township and there are three townships my road goes through.

• Hugs 1

12 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Lol, where I live you have to take what you get.

Those are some of the best roads we have.

The Lake Wilhelm trail is paved and still in decent shape but the roots are starting to heave the pavement in some places.

The Allegheny River trail that I rode most of my September miles on has about 12 miles that will beat you up. Tree roots have heaved the pavement so bad you better have good tire pressure or you will get a pinch flat. The other 20 miles are ok. When I was going for miles in the challenge I stayed on the decent twenty mile part and just rode back and forth.

And then there is my road. They don’t have a clue how to maintain a dirt road but occasionally they get lucky. If they do get lucky it will only be for one township and there are three townships my road goes through.

We do have an abundance of cycling riches in SoCal. 

• Heart 1