Quote of the Day: Aesop

Inspiration Bot

5 hours ago, Inspiration Bot said:

"Adventure is worthwhile."

View the full article

I wish I knew the story that backed that up.

Aesop was a Black man in Greece who gathered and wrote the Fables.  My favorite one is where an old father of 5 sons is dying and the sons are afraid of threats happening after the father died.  The father told the sons to each gather two identical sticks.  He then told them to break one of the two sticks and each one did it easily.  Then he told them to bundle the remaining sticks together and break them.  No one could, not even the strongest son.

The moral of the story has become a famous saying: "United we stand!"

I often wondered where Aesop got his stories and how far away they might have originated.

In my 50's, my Chinese-prodigy piano teacher, the late, great Frances Cheng-Koors, told me I had to get my fingers working together better on the piano: all had to play through their keys, etc.  She said, "Once there was an old Chinese man who had 5 sons who worried how they would survive after he was gone.  He told them to each get two chopsticks...."

Here was the Chinese version of the "United we stand" fable!  I wonder if Aesop borrowed it from the Chinese or Aesop's Fable was adapted by the Chinese or both borrowed it from some other origin.