Natural Gas go boom

Scrapr

Well duh

Yesterday a construction crew cut a NG line in a trendy hood in P town. Everybody got evacuated. 8 people hurt. I think one in hospital. Destroyed at least one building. I would not want to be that construction company owner. Or the locate service. It's a miracle there was no body killed

status/789085603157594116?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr

About 12 years ago at work there was digging outside between two of our buildings for something or other and, oh snap, ruptured a gas line. It as marked, perhaps incorrectly? No boom or injuries. Another story happened inside. A person raised a hi-lo to get a pallet from a top shelf and then backed up too far w/o lowering the forks and broke open a NG line :runcirclsmiley:sounded like an air line ruptured, but the odor told otherwise. Thankfully no boom. Everyone evacuated w/o injury.

9 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

Yesterday a construction crew cut a NG line in a trendy hood in P town. Everybody got evacuated. 8 people hurt. I think one in hospital. Destroyed at least one building. I would not want to be that construction company owner. Or the locate service. It's a miracle there was no body killed

So glad no one was killed.  This happened around here a couple years ago - a natural gas explosion leveled a bunch of townhomes.  It happened a mile away; my wife was home and she thought the explosion was another tree falling on our house. 

Unfortunately one woman was killed.  Some of the other fallout from that - 

"The BPU fined [local energy utility] PSE&G $725,000 and [contractor] Henkels & McCoy $600,000 for each company's role in the March 2014 explosion.  PSE&G was also fined another $275,000 for violations of the Underground Facilities Protection Act, which did not directly contribute to the explosion, BPU officials said.

Workers digging at the South Fork housing development in Ewing on March 4, 2014 struck a gas line, but never called 911 to report the gas leak or call for evacuations of the townhouse neighborhood."