Air Canada flight attendants more "mature" older than some other airlines

shootingstar

Air Canada appears for past decades,  relaxing the age requirements for flight attendants to continue working.  Yesterday, an employee  who immigrated from Russia over 15 years ago, commented that you can tell just by looking at flight attendants which ones might be Air Canada (same for West Jet??) because they look older..meaning middle-aged and older. She was slightly denigrating. I thought she was abit snobbish.  I'm glad for the Air Canada flight attendants can continue to work if they are still healthy and physically fit to work past ie. 30, 31, 35 etc.  I expect for sure, a certain level of fitness plus all the necessary requirements for passenger emergencies, customer service and (bi/tri) linguistic fluency.

She was commenting on the attractiveness of her Russian cousin flight attendant based in Moscow. I told her I had also a cousin as a flight attendant for Pan American airlines also attractive..but I said that was back in 1970's (when I was a teenager when she and her mother came to visit us in Canada) where for certain airlines there was still more rigid ideas about physical attractiveness and youthfulness.  I had lost what happened to her career wise.  She was based in San Franscisco.

I suspect there are still for flight attendants for many airlines, some basic requirements of being physically "presentable", maximum weight, personality plus fitness, alertness, etc. to deal with certain situations, even if we are in the 21st century with more broader ideas of attractiveness.  

(This post is not an invitation to post jokes with photos of people...)

31 to 35 is still very young to work as an airline attendant.  I fly fairly often and have nev2wr flown Air Canada but I've seen a pretty diverse age group with flight attendants. If i had to put an average age id say 35 but ive seen many well into their 50's. 

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

31 to 35 is still very young to work as an airline attendant.  I fly fairly often and have nev2wr flown Air Canada but I've seen a pretty diverse age group with flight attendants. If i had to put an average age id say 35 but ive seen many well into their 50's. 

As you know, many people still freak out turning 40, 50.   Maybe it's us, cyclists (no matter how fast or slow we bike) don't feel /look the ravages of aging at those ages, as quickly as others...

My head still hasn't quite turned into belief it's 60 next yr. for moi.

Methinks some of air disasters or airline near disasters have demonstrated the importance of trained staff for emergencies, etc. or the few who said the wrong thing to passenger.

5 hours ago, shootingstar said:

As you know, many people still freak out turning 40, 50.   Maybe it's us, cyclists (no matter how fast or slow we bike) don't feel /look the ravages of aging at those ages, as quickly as others...

My head still hasn't quite turned into belief it's 60 next yr. for moi.

Methinks some of air disasters or airline near disasters have demonstrated the importance of trained staff for emergencies, etc. or the few who said the wrong thing to passenger.

Are you thinking about a career change?