78 yr. chick still workin' & not quilt with old people

shootingstar

At work, I had a work meeting because she had to verify stuff. She looks great...though she dyes her hair, her skin is great.  She dresses modestly and very sharp, fast mind. She walks 7 km daily. She was bored with retirement at 70 yrs. So a yr. later she returned and yes, lucky she was accepted.  A great natural even temperament,  since she must work with a bunch of politicians in a support role.  A type of role that drive a lot people nuts/would find demoralizing because of some egos.

Her daughter-in-law told me she didn't want to hang around old women her age in a quilting circle.  I suggested it's better she takes a course on fabric/fibre art surrounded by diversity of ages, all interested in same craft/passion.  I get what the problem is.

8 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Sounds like she found a solution that works for her and she doesn't have a problem.  Good for her.  But for me, working a full time job at 78 would be my problem.

For me too!  I got other plans to spend my time.  I would be the person taking the art course, for sure. Frankly I think we live in a boring city. One can't go to the mountains 100 km. every wk. (that costs money to travel, etc.) unless one has a 2nd home there.  The city where I live is definitely not Vancouver nor Toronto in terms of offering a much broader range of activities, events and groups.

When she was raising her son, she was a strong activist for gifted children and pushed to establish the first one in our city.  Her son is now a professor...  So if this gives the flavour of her personality. Quietly confident, yet questioning and curious about stuff.

Sorry...my 76 year old co-worker doesn't know how to forward an e-mail to me...and gets stuck on details that are not her business...and doesn't do her own work...wish someone would figure out she needs to be gone instead of selling memberships in the cooperative to people who need to be in assisted living..Oh yeah...she won't tour drop ins...because she can't walk the building enough to give more than 1 or 2 PLANNED tours a day...

I hate to think about waiting til 70 to retire....but I need the $$$$$$

• Awesome 1
  • Sad 1

At lunch one of my work colleagues, a child-free woman like myself, maybe a few yrs. younger than I, declared:  I don't want spend hrs. cycling. Who wants to do that?  I got to fix up my house. 

I think the opposite.... I want to take advantage of my  mobility NOW and explore/enjoy the world outside. :)  After I graduated from university, my lst job was at rehabilitation medicine hospital for spinal cord injured adults...wheelchair bound for life.  It is possible this exposure early,  makes one acutely aware of freedom of mobility.

Meanwhile dearie who is 75, is joining a night mass ride event.

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Sorry...my 76 year old co-worker doesn't know how to forward an e-mail to me...and gets stuck on details that are not her business...and doesn't do her own work...wish someone would figure out she needs to be gone instead of selling memberships in the cooperative to people who need to be in assisted living..Oh yeah...she won't tour drop ins...because she can't walk the building enough to give more than 1 or 2 PLANNED tours a day...

I hate to think about waiting til 70 to retire....but I need the $$$$$$

Sounds she's only there because someone in hiring her, felt sorry for her or whatever.  

We should dream of a sideline part-time gig for you that you would love to do, petite. What could that be....bike tour guide with an existing company? Maybe 1 of the bigger companies that travel in North America or overseas.  Think about it. I had a cycling friend in Toronto who did run her own little company of walking tours in the city.  (Cycling was too complicated tour wise in Toronto.)

• Heart 1