So why don’t we see Sominex ads constantly like in the 60s?

Ralphie

They gave me a spootful of benadryl in the ambulance ride after I was attacked by the bees.  I woke up briefly in the ER and the doc said "don't fight it, just go back to sleep".  After a few hours I woke up and since I hadn't died they sent me home with instructions to take it easy for a couple of days.

14 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I never knew my wife had trouble sleeping until I cleaned out her medicine cabinet. All over the counter stuff, not much missing out of any of the packages. Must not have worked. Every time I woke up in the night she seemed to be sleeping.

OTC sleep aids often don't work. The active ingredients are ones that don't require super-strict government regulations. The holistic ones are usually just melatonin; others have some mild drowsy stuff like Benadryl. And note that for a few people in this world, Benadryl does the complete opposite of drowsy and sends them bouncing off the walls.

I tried melatonin; it was worthless for me. Ambien does the trick, but I don't need it as much as I used to. Once a week absolute tops, usually Sunday night when the weekend's ending.

As for Benadryl and bee stings, it's not uncommon. It's a fairly safe antihistamine (primary effect); the drowsy effect often helps calm as well.