I finally have a nice thing to say about my ISP

jsharr

We use Spectrum for our home internet.  I have a DECO mesh system so I get good WIFI through the whole house including garage and front and back porches.

It has worked seamlessly with no signal loss, buffering issues, etc even with up to four TV's streaming at once at times.

Recently, began losing internet intermittently, usually during a really exciting play or a very dramatic portion of a movie.

Yesterday Spectrum said they showed our router was not working as well as it should and that we needed a new router.  This came in an email to my wife without us reaching out to Spectrum.  They even sent a link that took you to the ordering page.  New high speed internet equipment is on the way.  Even had a link to an video showing how to connect the new equipment.

• Like 1

We're dumping Spectrum.  Cable, phone, and internet was approaching $230/month for the most basic package.  Little increase here, little increase there until it added up to too much.  Moving over to Verizon Fios, which just ran lines down our road.

They may not be any great shakes either.  While they will be about $60/month cheaper, their website and process to start a new account would have Cardinal Ximenez of the Spanish Inquisition chittering with glee.  At worst, we'll tolerate Verizon for 3 months if it's crappy, and then we'll qualify as 'new' customers at Spectrum and can get the really cheap rate for at least a year from them.

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

I told a joke the other day and my sons laughed, my wife laughed and Alexa laughed

And that's why I won't have (or setup) Alexa, Google Assistant, Siri, or Contana, (etc..) in my home or on my phone.

I don't need or want any AI always listing to our conversations. 

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Yesterday Spectrum said they showed our router was not working as well as it should and that we needed a new router.

Sometimes... all you need to do is reboot the router and/or cable modem.

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

I finally have a nice thing to say about my ISP

Yesterday Spectrum said they showed our router was not working as well as it should and that we needed a new router.

Wait until you find out how much more the router will cost rent per month from Spectrum.  I'm assuming they won't care to tell you about a new router unless they would make money when it's installed at your home.

2 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Sometimes... all you need to do is reboot the router and/or cable modem.

Wait until you find out how much more the router will cost rent per month from Spectrum.  I'm assuming they won't care to tell you about a new router unless they would make money when it's installed at your home.

I have rebooted and it did not help.

If there is a big price increase I will simply call and ask to cancel.  I imagine much like Sirius XM, they will find a work around to keep me.  

• Heart 1

28 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

We're dumping Spectrum.  Cable, phone, and internet was approaching $230/month for the most basic package.  Little increase here, little increase there until it added up to too much. 

We have Mediacom (TV and internet) and we don't have any other choice, except satellite.  :(

Last week we had a landscaper here installing edging pavers.  They didn't call for underground utility locates, the just showed up and started working.   Of course they dug up and severed the Mediacom buried cable.  I found out when I stated up my laptop in the late morning and was going to post here.  No internet.  :scratchhead:  I checked my stuff in the electronics closet.  The cable modem wasn't connected to the internet. :facepalm:  Then I realized 'the landscapers' did this.  :angry:   After I called the contractor and explained THEY will be on the hook for the repair bill, I called Mediacom.

After I got the appointment set up for the repair, then the Mediacom person wanted to talk to me about my bill.  $309 per month.  (WoBG likes a LOT of channels that are premium channels)  I was too upset...  and told her not today.

I called Monday and I got a reduction in my billing rate.  I'll believe it when I get the next bill.  

1 minute ago, Bikeguy said:

We have Mediacom (TV and internet) and we don't have any other choice, except satellite. 

Satellite ain't a "choice"!!! That's a punishment!

We have Verizon Fios.  Generally, their internet is okay but their cable TV side is awful.  We'll likely jump back to Comcast when we dump TV and go with an internet/cell phone bundle instead.  Comcast is generally way better than Verizon in my experience.