Yogi Berra Explains Jazz:

Rattlecan

Musicians who can improvise well have brains and bodies so tuned to music they can pull it off. They delightfully amaze me.

When you study music, especially piano, in the adult program of the Peabody Institute of Johns Hopkins University, you have to be able to read sheet music as well as take courses, some semester long like Theory and Composition and some just one long day.

I was assigned and to an Improvisation one-day class that was associated with jazz, where the first thing we learned was:

Improvisation is not the expression of accident, but rather of the accumulated yearnings, dreams and wisdom of our very soul.” -Yehudi Menuhin

On of the activities was to go to the piano and make up a melody to fit a described action.  As I sat at the piano, I was told. "There's a fish swimming happily along in a lake.  It suddenly feels energetic and leaps out of the water, splashes back down, and resumes its happy swimming.  Play that."

I played something where the melody followed major chords at the beginning and end, then used shorter, faster notes based on 7th and incomplete chords in the middle for the jump.  The assessment was that it was pretty good, but sounded too structured - but not bad for a first try.  I left and went back to memorizing Chopin.

• Heart 2

Yogi was a jazz musician. His speech was jazz. 
Jazz is not my first love, but I grown too appreciate and even love aspects of it. I’m grateful to Ken Burns’ “Jazz” for giving historical perspective and points of reference for jazz. 

Jazz is not my first love, but I grown too appreciate and even love aspects of it. I’m grateful to Ken Burns’ “Jazz” for giving historical perspective and points of reference for jazz. 

2 hours ago, groupw said:

You can say that again!