The War of 1812

AirwickWithCheese

"As the storm began to subside, one of the British officers in command of the invasion emerged from his shelter and said to one of the inhabitants of Washington, “Great God, Madam, is this the kind of storm to which you are accustomed in this infernal country?!”

She responded, “No, sir, this is a special interposition of Providence to drive our enemies from the city.”

:)
  • Heart 1

From the article: If shipping rights were the issue then why did the land campaigns focus almost exclusively on our western frontier?

Because you can't use an army to conduct land campaigns in mid-ocean to dispute shipping rights.  That's what the navy is for. 

And the land campaigns did not almost exclusively focus on the western frontier.  Quite a number of campaigns, as people have noted here, focused on the northern border with Canada in an attempt to pry those lands loose from English control.

Both countries returned to the conditions before the war because it was in the best interest for both countries to do so.  The United States was broke and had no money to pursue a longer war.  The British press and businesses were already protesting the anticipated taxes needed to continue the war.  British politicians and the Treaty of Ghent negotiators were worried the situation in Europe would deteriorate so they'd once again be fighting on two fronts.

I did, though, find the article interesting.  I'd read that a severe storm extinguished the fires in Washington D.C. but never that the storm generated tornadoes that did the British forces more harm than our own militia did.

...in 1812, most of the northern border with Canada was, for all practical purposes, a part of our western frontier, sir.

I suppose it's a matter of perception:

USAH009-H.gif

I would consider the Great Lakes and the Canadian border a northern frontier of the nation, and the Mississippi the western.  However I could see where at the time those in New England would consider Detroit a 'western' frontier as it is to the west, and others of the time might call it a 'western' frontier in reference to the original thirteen states.