So, I’m not the volleyball coach after all.

MoseySusan

Three years ago I filled in as coach for the C level volleyball team in our Special Olympics delegation. I hadn’t taken the certification course or test for the credential, but none of the team’s coaches had. We are volunteers who were there in the time of need. 

Flash forward three years, and the delegation head says he’d like me to take the course and certify for volleyball so I can be the coach of the C level team. I agreed. I took the course. But I haven’t taken the test, yet.

At our first practice yesterday, a long-time volunteer with the delegation is there with a friend who “is going to coach the team.” Now I’m twice as confused because the long-time volunteer has recently revived a delegation she had started in 1999 and let lapse. I’m wondering why she’s at our practice instead of her own delegation. And I’m wondering why she’s brought a person to coach. 

I think our head of delegation forgot he’d asked me to certify and coach. Oh, well. 

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

Sorry.  I was asked to do a presentation at a recent Scout course.  During staff development I got up and went to start the presentation and another staff member came forward as well.  We both sort of looked at each other and then the course director realized he had asked two people to present the same item.  We ended up doing the presentation together and it worked out very well.  I hope the same thing happens here.

• Heart 2

Ran into a lot of coach coordination issues in youth sports.  I was once asked to coach my daughter’s U5 soccer team.  Uh I know nothing about soccer?!?! Don’t worry we’ll teach you… Fortunately I had a mom volunteer to be my assistant.  She knew a lot about soccer having played, she was just didn’t want to be the coach.  

It worked out well as I never knew when to corner kick or when the goalie kicks & such.  She would step in when needed which was often.

I bumped into her later on and she had been coaching for years to that point.  She was just a bit intimidated at first but after a season as assistant was ready to take it on. 

• Like 1