4 broken spokes

BR46

Just finished up replacing 4 broken spokes on the sidecar rear wheel. 

It's a pain in the ass changing them because you have to loosen up all the spokes 

• Heart 1
  • Sad 2
  • Hugs 1

15 minutes ago, BR46 said:

2 days after her get off she said that she's done with racing. Last week Friday we stopped at the corner bar down the street for a after dinner drinks when someone was asking her on how she was feeling and asked her if she was done racing.....she said I don't think so I might get on for a few races here and there. 

I know that there were a few tracks that she struggled with on how quick she had to transfer and where timing was crucial.

Did you point out the kids weight is breaking the wheels off the rig ?

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

Sounds like your monkey may be ready to retire. You can’t deny that you didn’t know this day would come. How many years has she been on your side? She is to be admired based on your photos, videos and stories. Kudos to your monkey. 

I would love for her and 46 to race forever. But I know my crash a few years back did a lot more damage to me at 60 some than at 20 some.

I would like another motorcycle, but knowing I wouldn't really recover from even a mild crash keeps me away.

Same feelings to riding a bicycle on the public roads.

• Heart 1
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 1

48 minutes ago, BR46 said:

2 days after her get off she said that she's done with racing.

How did I miss this? Where is the link? I’ve been concerned about you two. I know from experience that age has a big effect on how fast and how well your body heals after a crash. I watch young people crash and go head over heels for hundreds of feet and get up like nothing ever happened. Then I wonder if I could even survive that crash? I know my bones break a lot easier than they used to.

• Hugs 2

48 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

What gauge spokes does something like that use?

7 gauge 

49 minutes ago, Parsnip Totin Jack said:

Sounds like your monkey may be ready to retire. You can’t deny that you didn’t know this day would come. How many years has she been on your side? She is to be admired based on your photos, videos and stories. Kudos to your monkey. 

I kinda knew that it would happen someday. I know that there are some tracks that she enjoys racing at. I hope that she will still race those tracks but if she doesn't I will be OK with that. I do know several monkey's who will step up and race.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1

7 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

How did I miss this? Where is the link? I’ve been concerned about you two. I know from experience that age has a big effect on how fast and how well your body heals after a crash. I watch young people crash and go head over heels for hundreds of feet and get up like nothing ever happened. Then I wonder if I could even survive that crash? I know my bones break a lot easier than they used to.

Racing in Georgia in February Wo46 missed a handhold and fell out of the back of the sidecar at about 60mph. Her safety gear did its job and she got up and walked away with a few bumps and bruises. She sprained her thumb and that's still bothering her. 

The scary part was it happened in the first lap when we are all bunched up and we were in 2nd place when it happened. I know that there is a video from a GoPro that was on the sidecar behind us but I haven't seen it yet. 

• Thank You 1

21 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

So that's like, what, 4.5mm? Way beyond what I'm equipped to cut and thread.

Are there shops that can custom make them or do you have to source them from the OEM?

There a place out of Florida that specializes in parts for vintage motorcycles so I'm going to order some more spokes. I inspect the spokes after every race and every weekend of racing. We sideload the wheels that were never designed for a sideload 

img_2_1711583937932.thumb.jpg.8a395a46fd62e9fff01e1269363a65df.jpg

• Heart 1