Part III: The Pranks

I once pulled a prank that nearly got me beat up. I put a few cigarette loads into a few cigars of a coworker. Cigarette loads explode when the fire gets to them. At night he played in a C&W band, and I happened to go see them at a local bar that night. During a break between songs, he pulls out a cigar. Oh shit! Even worse, he gives one to a bandmate who had recently been in a car accident and had some stitches on his face and elsewhere. Sure enough they started playing the next song and the cigar exploded on the guy who had been in the car wreck. I think that I must have put three loads in that cigar. A few people dived under tables thinking it was a shooting. The guy with tobacco in his stitches looks at my coworker like he was going to kill him. Of course my coworker points the finger at me. Oh shit! About that time people started laughing. I think that might have saved my life.

• Awesome 1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I once pulled a prank that nearly got me beat up. I put a few cigarette loads into a few cigars of a coworker.

Nah, we never did stuff like that.

Closest I came was when I found my cow-orker’s stash of toothpicks (he always had one in his mouth) and I took a couple and stabbed them through a jalapeño a few times. 

He threw the whole box out.

• Haha 2

I pulled an elaborate joke on my admin troop when I was in the USAF. I ran a school for aircraft maintenance people and could have around 100 students at one time. I had various people call the office looking for Captain Smith. I made sure that we didn't have a Captain Smith in a class. The first time Bob went through all the class rosters looking for Captain Smith. After the second call, he looked again. About the fourth call, he started asking each instructor if they had a Captain Smith in a class. About the 10th call, he was checking with the base locator roster. I hadn't thought of that, but luckily there wasn't a Captain Smith.

Towards the end of the day, and about 20 phone calls, I had someone call Bob and say "This is Captain Smith. Did anyone call for me?" Bob was so apoplectic that he couldn't form any words. That's when the whole office burst out laughing. Bob should have known something was up as almost everyone was crowding around the office at quitting time.

• Haha 3
  • Like 1

It was March I believe, a cold wet March. We were at the start of construction on a Cracker Barrel Restaurant. The site was a literal mud hole, a big track excavator got buried to where water was at seat level.

We were a crew of four and normally would start the day with coffee around a burn barrel, usally a few jokes and a bit of discussion about the goals for the day. 

So one morning Lester, the foreman, shows up, ignores the coffee, says anybody touches a vehicle, you're fired, get the fuck to work.

I was totally in the dark, wondering what brought this on. Jessie filled me in later. Ron put a handful of pebbles inside the hubcap of Lester's van, Lester stopped, in the rain, to check the wheel. He was not amused.

Shortly before lunch I was talking to Lester and Ron walked by, shaking a pop can full of pebbles and making engine noises. Lester turned bright red, gritted his teeth, then relaxed and started to laugh. Looked at me and said, that fucker's got balls.

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Further said:

Ron put a handful of pebbles inside the hubcap of Lester's van, Lester stopped, in the rain, to check the wheel. He was not amused.

I did the gravel-in-the-hubcap trick to a coworker a long time ago.

We also did kind of a longer version. We kept giving a coworker keys, for about a week or so, with no explanation. Then we took a piece of flat stock, welded a length of chain to it, looped the chain around the rear axle, secured it with a padlock and set the whole works on the leaf spring. A ways down the road, it fell and started dragging on the road. He had to spend more than a few minutes on the side of the road figuring out which key it was.

Stanley told me they’d once done this with a roll of crepe paper and the victim got pulled over and ended up getting a ticket for a bald tire!

Garry was a cheap bastard and always cheaped out as best he could with his vehicles. He bought a Jeep with a mystery ground issue no one could solve. His solution was to disconnect the battery when he got to work and reattach the cable when he got ready to go home. George suggested we get underneath with some zip ties and tie off the cable so that it’d be juuuuust too short. We didn’t, but that just shows the caliber of people I learned from.:whistle:

• Heart 3
  • Like 1

Chair pranks were big. Some people once put a toilet in place of a hated boss’s chair!  

Another time they lowered another unpopular boss’s chair one turn per day until they hit bottom and then raised it all the way!  They say he never noticed or re-adjusted it!  

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ralphie said:

Chair pranks were big. Some people once put a toilet in place of a hated boss’s chair!

The boss was cool with the pranks…unless he was on the receiving end. While he was on vacation once, I taped plastic wrap across the window on his office door and then filled the space between the glass and the plastic with styrofoam peanuts. He wasn’t amused. 

He had a cassette player in his office and he was listening to some get-rich-quick seminar he’d gotten sucked into. I switched the tape with some Ronald McDonald cassette my kid got in a Happy Meal. He was not amused.

But by far my favorite was when I switched a machinery ad he’d torn out of the paper with a section from the “Men Seeking Men” ads from the local alternative weekly. Fortunately, I wasn’t in the room when he found it. They said he came storming out of the office, threw it, stormed back into the office, came out picked it up and threw it again. I never would have been able to keep a straight face.

2 minutes ago, Ralphie said:

Another time they lowered another unpopular boss’s chair one turn per day until they hit bottom and then raised it all the way!  They say he never noticed or re-adjusted it!  

When I worked in the steal mill (thanks @jsharr!) we’d tighten up one of the day shift guys’ hard hat one notch every night/.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1