The Pats won

Square Wheels

Actually, they lost, in a way.  Gronk's injury is probably the final icing on the cake of doom for the Pats this year.   :(

That was sad.  There were microphones close to him.  He's a huge guy but it sounded like he was squealing like a little girl, it looked like it hurt like hell.  The guy who hit him (Wade I think) shook Gronk's hand as he was being carted out.  I thought that was classy.  It was clearly not a hit intended to injure.

That was sad. There were microphones close to him. He's a huge guy but it sounded like he was squealing like a little girl, it looked like it hurt like hell. The guy who hit him (Wade I think) shook Gronk's hand as he was being carted out. I thought that was classy. It was clearly not a hit intended to injure.

"Gronkowski suffered the injury in the third quarter after hauling in a pass up the seam from Tom Brady. The two-time Pro Bowler took a direct hit to his right knee by Browns safety T.J. Ward and fell to the ground, clearly in pain.

"It was a decision I made just to make a tackle on a big man and unfortunately he got hurt, but if I would've hit up high, there's a chance I would get fined and all that other stuff. I'm just being safe," Ward said."

So making a decision to hit a player directly on the knee is "classy"?

Injuries happen, but T.J. Ward did nothing classy. He's just trying to look good, so some crazy fan doesn't try to put a bullet in his head.

That's like calling Shawn Thornton classy because he feels bad for attacking Brooks Orpik.          

if that's not an olive branch, I don't know what is :D

ok, I see what you mean.  Legal hit, yes. Classy? probably not.

Did you see the Bruins/Pens game?

yes. Great hockey game. Really physical first period, close checking 2nd, but then that last 2 minutes of the third was a real piss off. But hey, both our teams have been coming back to win in the third period lately. I love that kinda hockey. So we were on the short end this time. Oh well, fuck em, they won a game. There's still alot of hockey left to play

It was clearly not an intent to injure

There were 3 instances I saw where Ward was aiming at a knee. I don't care if he did go up and shake gronks hand, I have little doubt that the idea was to take Gronk off the field. However, by the rulebook which these days is somewhat arbitrary and almost made up... it was a legal hit.

The game left me rather ill. The Pats played like crap, the refs were even more HORRIBLE (on both sides of the ball) and that last bad pass interference call giving the pats the ball on the 1 was ridiculous.

In regards to Gronk spelling doom for the Patriots - not so sure about that. I do think however that Gronk never puts on a Pats uniform again. He's been somewhat of a china doll (a by-product of being that large) and I think this puts him off the field for a while. He'll miss the first 6 games of next season as it is... at best.

There were 3 instances I saw where Ward was aiming at a knee. I don't care if he did go up and shake gronks hand, I have little doubt that the idea was to take Gronk off the field. However, by the rulebook which these days is somewhat arbitrary and almost made up... it was a legal hit.

The game left me rather ill. The Pats played like crap, the refs were even more HORRIBLE (on both sides of the ball) and that last bad pass interference call giving the pats the ball on the 1 was ridiculous.

In regards to Gronk spelling doom for the Patriots - not so sure about that. I do think however that Gronk never puts on a Pats uniform again. He's been somewhat of a china doll (a by-product of being that large) and I think this puts him off the field for a while. He'll miss the first 6 games of next season as it is... at best.

By the rules, it was a legal hit, but Ward's explanation of his choice to hit Gronkowski at the knee is weak.

He says that he hit the knee because he didn't want to get fined for targeting his head.

I understand that he couldn't target the head(by the rules), but does that make his hit to the knee his only other option?

Brandon Meriweather made some comments about this type of hit a few weeks ago, and most analysts were bothered by his statements, but it is a legal hit.