Then and now

Caretaker

In Dublin on 4 November 1779, the Volunteers took advantage of the annual commemoration of King William III's birthday, marching to his statue in College Green and demonstrating for Free Trade between Ireland and England. Previously, under the Navigation Acts, Irish goods had been subject to tariffs upon entering England, whereas English goods could pass freely into Ireland. The Volunteers paraded fully armed with the slogan, "Free Trade or this", as referring to cannon.[3] also cited "Free trade or a Speedy Revolution".[18] According to Liz Curtis the English regime in Ireland was vulnerable, and the Volunteers used this to press for concessions from England using their new-found strength.[3] This demand of the Volunteers was quickly granted by the British government.[18] The Dublin Volunteers' review, saluting a statue of King William III,[19] in College Green on 4 November 1779 was painted by Francis Wheatley.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Volunteers_(18th_century)#Politics

I have this 18th C. print after Francis Wheatley's painting that hangs in the National Gallery of Ireland, hanging in my hallway. Thought I'd take a photo as close as possible to the same place without getting run over by a bus.

P1060557.JPG

P1060558.JPG

• Heart 2

18 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Cool pictures, although I'll admit it kind of bums me out to see a Subway sign in that nearly 300 year old square... 

Agreed, the area is a mess. There are plans to largely pedestrianise it but powerful commercial interests are opposed.

6 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

I'm embarrassed to ask - but does that sign next to the Subway say "Coitus Coffee"??  :o

Costa Coffee.

6 hours ago, Further said:

Is the statue still there?    Love your pictures, keep posting them.

No, it was damaged by an explosion in 1928 and taken down never to be replaced. William of Orange (King Billy) is a Unionist icon and not too popular in Dublin.