Hey Petite I found a solution for your weather woes

jsharr

I grew up in tornado alley and used to hate tornado warning, watches, and actual tornadoes.   As I have grown older I have realized that there is not much I can do about my demise.  It will come when it comes and getting all worked up about tornadoes was and is not worth it.  I remain calm and reassure my boys that all will be okay.

I am a firm believer in fate.  I was introduced to this world on a preset day and I will leave on a preset day and there is nothing I can do to change that.  I can control some of what happens in between those two days, but that is about it.

discus.

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I grew up in tornado alley and used to hate tornado warning, watches, and actual tornadoes.

discus.

I got a chuckled a couple months ago when Hip posted something about a tornado warning in her area.  Everyone else made light of it but you posted a message to take it very seriously.  Outside of tornado alley, when the civil defense siren goes, you just take note and go on with whatever your doing.  Heck, if the sky has an usually threatening look, I run out to the garage to watch the storm come through.  It is a different attitude resulting from experiencing well  over 100 (probably) tornado alters without seeing or hearing a tornado or knowing someone who has been effected by one.  It is really just a difference if perspective from someone, like you, who has lived their life where a tornado is a real threat.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

I got a chuckled a couple months ago when Hip posted something about a tornado warning in her area.  Everyone else made light of it but you posted a message to take it very seriously.  Outside of tornado alley, when the civil defense siren goes, you just take note and go on with whatever your doing.  Heck, if the sky has an usually threatening look, I run out to the garage to watch the storm come through.  It is a different attitude resulting from experiencing well  over 100 (probably) tornado alters without seeing or hearing a tornado or knowing someone who has been effected by one.  It is really just a difference if perspective from someone, like you, who has lived their life where a tornado is a real threat.

I have been in or close to about half a dozen.  Seen homes on the street I lived on blown apart.  Had the window in my car busted by flying debris.  Seen the marina that I worked at devastated with boats stacked on top of each other in the docks.  

• Heart 1

Just now, az_cyclist said:

to an extent, yes.  especially for crops.  but wind can really be the worst.  I have seen oak and hard maple trees uprooted

I watched huge oaks get bent to the ground.  Saw an oak that was "untwisted" by a tornado.  It was still standing, but you could see strands of wood.  

6 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I watched huge oaks get bent to the ground.  Saw an oak that was "untwisted" by a tornado.  It was still standing, but you could see strands of wood.  

bad news either way.  I felt better when I had a place with a basement.  it felt safer.  but in Indiana we didnt have as many as you do in Texas, or as in Oklahoma

2 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

bad news either way.  I felt better when I had a place with a basement.  it felt safer.  but in Indiana we didnt have as many as you do in Texas, or as in Oklahoma

And the soil where I live is montmorillinite clay, with huge shrink / swell potential based on moisture content.  Due to this, very few houses have basements.  In Oklahoma, many houses had storm shelters, not quite as many have them in the Dallas area.