Calm myself..going birding abit

shootingstar

After a somewhat long workday, I treated myself this early evening with dearie ...by biking to a local park with wild birds and other critters by ponds, creeks.  In the dimming golden autumn light, we saw a teenage muskrat cruising around in the water,, chickadees, several ducks and a bird which I have to check online.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

Did you get any birds?

I was in a bird park sanctuary.  It is actually a federally designated wild bird park.   It offers birding courses, tours for school children are quite common.

One of the ducks I saw was a wood duck. This is the male. They are common in this park.  I haven't yet seen the harlequin duck is is another block-coloured flashy looking duck. 

woodduckturning.jpg

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

I was in a bird park sanctuary.  It is actually a federally designated wild bird park.   It offers birding courses, tours for school children are quite common.

One of the ducks I saw was a wood duck. This is the male. They are common in this park.  I haven't yet seen the harlequin duck is is another block-coloured flashy looking duck. 

woodduckturning.jpg

My father in law had one of those on his desk. His was made of real wood.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

This is the female wood duck.  I do stress, we don't have a pair of binocaulars nor have we got any digital zoom-lens DSLR.  Just a pocket digital camera and ...trying to get my hands holding camera, not to shake as I zoom in as much as I can with my pocket camera.  

I don't have any interest in birding much.  It just so happens this wildlife park /sanctuary....seems to reward one easily with at least 1-2 critter sitings per visit.  That makes simpletons like me, happy.

female2.JPG

• Heart 2

Wood duck, eh? These will nest in trees I expect, giving their jung a great safe crib for their first few weeks of life, but then, he!! they has to leap in a non fly-ey way to the ground and trot after mom to some water - what a crazy start in life, what? Beats me, but it seems to work for them ok.

I’m not much of a birder either, a side line only, I watch the Sheffield peregrines mostly, I have olde style big binocula, which are a bit of a drag to lug around, but this week I found a pair of minis, 10 x 25, cheap in a charity shoppe, they are the thing, easy to have in the pannier for any chance need.

• Heart 1