Roadrunner

maddmaxx

4 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

We did okay.  Lots of local flooding, but the tidewater area lucked out as the storm hit the OB hard but then veered off to the northeast.  We got wind gusts in the 60 mph range and some trees were downed, but not as many as in the past.  Lots of people here have been removing trees lately (mature neighborhoods can become overrun with old, dangerous trees). 

Lots of debris (leaves, twigs small branches) in my yard.  I can hear the sound of mowers and blowers as I write this.  Guess I'll get out there in an hour or so.  I was waiting until sun dried everything out a bit.  Others are not so patient.  :D

Thanks for asking, Maxx.    :)

You never checked to see if I was ok and it hit us first. Sam missed a frisbee because of the wind.   :(

• Whatever 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Flooding is getting worse every year.  The global warming chickens are coming home to roost.   :(

Some of you inlanders may be interested to know that some people here in flood prone areas apply for and receive federal grants (your tax dollars) to have their houses raised above current flood levels.  Seems unfair to me.  If you own a house in a flood plain, why are the taxpayers in Greenville responsible?    :huh:

8 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Some of you inlanders may be interested to know that some people here in flood prone areas apply for and receive federal grants (your tax dollars) to have their houses raised above current flood levels.  Seems unfair to me.  If you own a house in a flood plain, why are the taxpayers in Greenville responsible?    :huh:

I'm OK with it.  Boston's Big Dig about about 14 billion, thank you for paying your share.  People need help, we all have too much money, we should help.

• Whatever 1
  • Confused 1

The Tidewater area, especially around the Norfolk Naval Base and the Newport News shipyard has an especially difficult problem as there is a combination of land sinking and water rising at a faster rate than the mean sea level due to tides, earths rotation and some other details.  Sea level differences of about 1 1/2 foot in the last century are the result.  The Norfolk navy base and one set of only 2 dry docks large enough to take our biggest ships are in jeopardy of complete failure.

• Sad 1

Just now, Road Runner said:

That has always pissed me off, that we encourage and subsidize frivolous and downright dangerous behavior.

• Heart 1

32 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

That has always pissed me off, that we encourage and subsidize frivolous and downright dangerous behavior.

How about the houses that have been there for a hundred years?  Norfolk was considered a fine place to live and a great place to build a huge military complex.  That complex brought thousands of personnel and workers to the area.  They have to live somewhere.