Reported on distracted driver on water

shootingstar

A few days ago, we took a little 10 min. water taxi boat across a saltwater creek.  It is convenient way to avoid heavy persistent rain and a walk or convoluted bus ride to market.  The boat driver was a young woman (ie. in her late 20's-early 30's). She was fine except she looked at her iPhone over 50% of time when she was steering the boat.  Dearie, who used to sail decades ago, noticed she allowed the boat to drit aimlessly while she looked at iPhone several times. There are many boats docked at various marinas, plus other little boats and occasional kayakers (yes even in heavy rain) cruising around.  She used her short wave radio ...which this company has used for ages (meaning last 20 yrs.) to chat /communicate with staff when she needed.  It is a busy little water area with enough water vessels puttering along.

So I reported her to the company manager on her distracted water steering/driving.  Manager emailed me that there was zero tolerance for iPhone use while boat steering, etc. He wrote he spoke with her. I thanked manager and reminded that customers come from all walks of life..with many don't know how to swim (I don't) and can see his staff work on the job. There are a lot of tourists in this area of Vancouver and these boats also go to tourist destinations.

**Maybe I'm just an unusually safety-oriented person...after being a long-time cyclist (and seeing distracted car drivers).  After working for regulatory agency that investigated fire deaths, educated public on fire safty, also in a hospital where people were disabled permanently due vehicle accidents, sports injuries and gunshot....

• Heart 4

13 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I am assuming you were on the water taxis on False Creek?  I have taken boats up through there  many times, the whole area is chaotic at the best of times.  

It used to be a fun place to anchor for a few days.  I am hoping it still is although I have friends whose boat was damaged twice by live aboard boats that were dragging anchor.  Old boats have become popular living spaces in Vancouver. 

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Zephyr said:

I am assuming you were on the water taxis on False Creek?  I have taken boats up through there  many times, the whole area is chaotic at the best of times.  

5 hours ago, Wilbur said:

It used to be a fun place to anchor for a few days.  I am hoping it still is although I have friends whose boat was damaged twice by live aboard boats that were dragging anchor.  Old boats have become popular living spaces in Vancouver. 

Yup, it's False Creek.  For that particular water taxi driver, I couldn't wait to get off the boat.

It was rarely a problem, pre-iPhone days.

I was amazed to learn of the marina near us.... it's $250,000+ to buy a berth.